Going nuts.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
We've had some really nice shoot'n weather and normally between the close and opening of walleye season, I get quite a little shoot'n in. Well not this year.

FIRST.......... I highly recommend that each and every person do something that he/she most likely brushes off. PROTECT YOUR EYES! One never realizes their importance and what would happen if something did go wrong, rather an acute injury or cumulative.

Last July while night fishing walleye, I noticed what I thought was a flashing light by the right side of my head. Long story short, old age and somehow had dislodged debris in my eye, which when light hit it, it reflected the light.

At the beginning of last month, floaters started getting abundant and within two days, I had part of my vision blocked by "something". Long story short, emergency eye surgery for a badly torn and detached retina. Four different kinds of eye drops, four times a day. Also had to set on the edge of a chair, bend my head down and look at the floor for four (4) hours a day. I was lucky and no buckle was added but, my eye was filled with gas, which created a bubble that you couldn't see through. After four weeks, I just was able to drive again.

Now I thought that it would be fun trying to shoot left handed. Well that got shot right in the butt, when the surgeon said "No shooting period, until I give the ok". JUST GREAT :x No lifting, no nothing. So I'm hoping after my next checkup, that he'll give me the "go ahead."

My Pro Hunter must feel like a red headed step-child about now :D

Sorry to hear of your problem... do as the doctor orders and lets hope you heal fast.

Wow that's terrible. Good luck with the recovery process, listen to your docs.

I am absolutely avid about wearing safety glasses. I ran a landscape company for almost 10 years. I never yelled at my guys unless I caught them doing something with out glasses on! Especially after an incident in northern Wisconsin about 8 years ago. We were on a camping trip. A friend of mine was splitting wood with a mal and a wedge. A piece of metal shaped like a little Frisbee broke off and pierced right into the middle of his eye! Do you know how hard it is finding an er on forth of July weekend way up there.

My glasses bore the mark of a needle sharp piece of file that got snatched into the lathe bed while dressing a part. Without the glasses I would likely be able to do a Long John Silver imitation.

Had the same thing happen to me years ago. I thought I had something in my eye. Wife kept on asking me what are you doing as I kept on trying to pull something away that wasn't there. Went to the eye doctor and they had to perform laser surgery in not one, but both eyes. Apparently I had torn retineas in both eyes. Was told I was very lucky I came in when I did.

You'll be shooting in no time.

edmehlig said:
Had the same thing happen to me years ago. I thought I had something in my eye. Wife kept on asking me what are you doing as I kept on trying to pull something away that wasn't there. Went to the eye doctor and they had to perform laser surgery in not one, but both eyes. Apparently I had torn retineas in both eyes. Was told I was very lucky I came in when I did.

You'll be shooting in no time.

It's definitely important that you get to the doc. If the tear enters the center part of the eye, even the laser repair will leave a scar and would ruin the center part of one's vision. That's not good......

The bubble has went down significantly, down to about the size of what appears to be a dime. It's always floating around in the bottom of my vision and moves when you move your head. Its actually floating in the top of your eye but, it appears to be on the bottom. Looking down brings on the most problem, as the bubble floats to the center of the eye and you either have to look around it or, make the brain use the other eye.

You realize very quickly when this happens, that you'd better follow the doc's instructions. So I haven't even picked up the 17HMR and have been following the instructions without question. Maybe things will be dried up some and when I can shoot, I'll be right back at it.

Great news but.......

I had my final checkup by the retinal surgeon this morning. He was exceptionally happy with the way the eye healed. He gave me his blessing to start back up shooting but..... after cataract surgery. The retinal surgery caused a "rapidly forming" cataract in the eye. However he was confident my vision would turn out much better than before the retinal surgery, with most of the original nearsightedness gone. He actually called the surgeon who would do the cataract surgery and set up an appointment. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now, just not clearly yet.
They (UPS) just dropped off 480 Barnes 250gr TMZ's and I'm bit'n a the bit. It'll be a few more weeks, then I'm going to smoke up the place :)

well that's good news so far! Congrats!

:partyman:

Glad everything seems to be coming together for you. Get those rifles smoking again. Deer season is not that far off :!: :!: :!:

Ray............ :wink:

Latest posts

Back