accurate loads for CVA Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambler_99

Reaction score
I have tried different loads with my CVA Optima without much luck. Does anyone have a load thet works well for them. I am shooting 100 gr, White Hot pellets with 250 grain T/C Shockwave bullets. The best I can get is about 10 inches at 50 yards ( I know there is something I can do to improve this),

gambler_99 said:
I have tried different loads with my CVA Optima without much luck. Does anyone have a load thet works well for them. I am shooting 100 gr, White Hot pellets with 250 grain T/C Shockwave bullets. The best I can get is about 10 inches at 50 yards ( I know there is something I can do to improve this),

I think you would get a lot more response to this question if you would post this in the 'inline' section of the forum... A lot of folks on here shoot CVA products..

I was able to move it for you - hope you do not mind...

I shoot my CVA Optima .50 caliber with 90 grains of BlackHorn 209 and the 260 and 300 grain Harvester Scorpion PT Gold and Funnel Nose bullets in the included sabots. Also try some 240 grain Hornady XTP in a Black Nosler sabot. I shoot them with 90 grains of Black Horn also.

I never tried White Hot pellets. So I can not comment. But I would sure be trying different powders at this point.

I gave the optima I had to my dad a couple years ago when I upgraded. We were shooting Saturday and the no excuse conical in 460 grains with 90 grains of 777 behind we're tack drivers. He could put 2 through the same hole and the third real close.

There are several problems here, one of them is a lack of information. Pictures of the target and how the gun is set up would help.
Second I believe you are looking at the wrong thing to try and solve the problem this sounds like a mechanical difficulty.
Are you using a scope? Recoil or bring dropped sometimes causes them to break inside and the best way to check that is try the iron sights or any other scope. The mounting screws or pivot pin being loose can cause this problem also. Check these things and let us know what you find.

I no longer have it but when I had my Optima I could shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the following load:

2 White Hots pellets
Remington KleanBore primers
300 grain Hornady SST-ML High Speed/Low Drag sabots

Give it a try, good luck.

I have a optima v2 and I shoot 100 grains of BH209 with Hornady 250 grain sst dead on at 100 yards.

I am using 300grn Hornady xtp with Harvester crush rib,100grns BH 209 federal 209A primer with great results. However the fit is quite loose so I ordered the smooth black short for a better fit.

Latest posts

Back