240g XTP Mag Captured Twice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P1030604.JPG

That first photo shows the bullet before and after it was captured the first time. The next 3 photo show the second bullet after it was captured

P1030641.JPG

P1030642.JPG

P1030644.JPG

The next photo show the apparatus used to capture the second bullet

P1030639.JPG

The second bullet was shot from the Omega Dream Season about 19 yard from the first jug. The powder load was 90g. The large remaining bullet weighs 168g, and was found laying in the bottom of the last jug along with the busted petal, and the small chunk of lead. The other 3 pieces of lead were found in the bottom of the third jug. The total weight of all the pieces is 212g.

Here is the VIDEO of the capture.

The next photo show the apparatus used to capture the first bullet

P1030599.JPG

The first bullet penetrated every 2 liter bottle, and was found in the phone book stack .

P1030601.JPG

The first bullet weighs about 240g, and was fired from a 45acp pistol at about 900 fps real real close.

The capture of the first bullet can be viewed in this Video.

I'm glad you posted this. I tried them in my CVA Wolf today after hearing good things about them. They gave me 1" groups at 100 yards. I was curious to see how they perform on game, now I know. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Ron,

I have confidence in the XTP. I know they have taken a lot of deer over the years.

I wonder how much better the Mag Version is vs the the standard? Do you have or have seen anything on a regular XTP?

A similar test was done using the 250g XTP. That bullet got away, so i don't have measurements of it. It penetrated 3 milk jugs, but not the fourth. If memory serves, it bounced off the fourth jug, and went away. Here is a VIDEO of that event.

What has always seemed to happen to XTP bullets is they separate. The XTP magnum bullets stay together.

Following are photo of a 300g XTP which was captured about 3 year ago.

P4301462.JPG

P4301463.JPG

P4301464.JPG

Myself, i have hit a few deer with the XTP, and they all went to our freezer. However, i mostly use the Deep Curl bullets for hunting, because they stay together, and in testing they penetrate deeper. Even though the Deep Curl penetrate deeper, they still expand readily, and do severe tissue damage. The XTP mag seem to work similarly to the Deep Curl. Following are photo of the 270g Deep Curl, and the 290g TEZ.

P6301677.JPG

P6301674.JPG

P6301673.JPG

The XTP mag, and the Deep Curl penetrate much the same. The TEZ penetrates deeper. The XTP penetrates least.

More deer have been put into our freezer by the 270g Deep Curl, than any other bullet. It has worked well; it seems the XTP magnum would work about the same. The XTP puts deer in the freezer.

The main reason i tested the XTP mag, is because it is available for purchase in these days of 'panic', whereas many other good bullets aren't. This year, i will be hunting with the 270g Deep Curl, but if i didn't have any, i would hunt with any of the XTP i have in hand.

The 240g XTP magnum penetrated 4 milk jugs; the 250g XTP penetrated 3 milk jugs. Three milk jugs is deeper than a deer.

Nice report Ron

Another affordable bullet is the Speer .451 300gr UniCor flat point. Its labeled as jacketed on Speers website but it is bonded. They hold up VERY well actually but expansion is a bit slower than the Deep Curls or Gold Dots. They are also usually more available during these "times".

Back