CVA WOLF

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Going to be setting up a CVA Wolf for use. I am am going to shoot the 295 copper hollow point through it. I will be shooting two pellets for ease of use...

Now...this is to be set up for people to get to try using a muzzle loader...

I have never owned a CVA wolf. What types of groups are you all getting at 100 yards?

turkey said:
Going to be setting up a CVA Wolf for use. I am am going to shoot the 295 copper hollow point through it. I will be shooting two pellets for ease of use...

Now...this is to be set up for people to get to try using a muzzle loader...

I have never owned a CVA wolf. What types of groups are you all getting at 100 yards?

There are a lot of really good reports out there on the Wolf. I think you might be really happy with the rifle considering the cost. Probably not a rifle I would buy, but a person has to start someplace.

I guess I am what you call a pretty seasoned muzzloading shooter having owned or own or shot just about all of the top of the line muzzloaders at some point and time.

I am really shocked at how well the CVA Wolf for $169 dollars shoots. To steal the term "CVA its really a better Muzzloader" is a very accurate statement.

So far out of a half dozen or so load combinations the CVA wolf digest everything about the same. That is all of the loads are hovering right around 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

One load it liked in paticular was the .458 Grain .4500 Interbond with the Harvester Black Crush Ribbed and 100 Grains of Bh209 powder. With it the groups shot just under 1.5 inches.

I shot this target at 150 yards a few weeks ago when I was working out the drops .

AS far as a teaching aspect The CVA wolf is so simplistic in nature its one of the best out there to teach on.
About the only reccomendation I could make is the Wolf is a bit of a kicker on the bench. If you are going to be teaching first time ML shooters to shoot I would reccomend cutting back on the powder charges at first. If using pellets start with just one pellet and work your way up. If loose powder start at 80 grains.

You're on the right track teaching someone with the Wolf. Mine gives me 1" groups at 100 yards with the load listed below.

For someone new to muzzleloaders. You might consider a lighter bullet. Putting a hole in paper doesn't need a 295gr bullet. Some hunters kill elk with that load you're using.

Muley Hunter said:
For someone new to muzzleloaders. You might consider a lighter bullet. Putting a hole in paper doesn't need a 295gr bullet. Some hunters kill elk with that load you're using.

Yes,,loose powder and patched round ball would be much cheaper too!

3 30 grain pellets 295 hollow point powerbelt. All three bullets touching 100 yards and right in the X.

Latest posts

Back