200 grain hornady xtp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtalker

Reaction score
has anyone use the hornady xtp 200 grain bullets in there 50 caliber muzzleloader, let me know how they shot and performed on deer, thanks

Interested in this bullet as well. No posts on this.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

I have not shot one personally with this bullet, but have seen some great performance from it. We used the 180 & the 200 in our handguns over a hot load of H110 powder & I never saw a deer without a fist sized exit hole. On double lung shots, there was tremendous bruising & the internal organs were turned into mush. You can also read reviews of this bullet at Midwayusa.com

I shot 3 deer this year, 2 with the 300 grn fpb. one was quartering to me, I hit high on the shoulder and the bullet exited the diagonal rear through at least 5-6 bones and the entire ribcage, the exit was almost smaller than the entrance. 2 more boadside clean pass through. the last was shot with a 260 xtp The first one made one jump and flopped, the other two flopped and twitched. I think a lot of people blame bullet design for poor shot placement. And at least for me, with an avg small size (compared to the midwest) deer I dont think anything will beat just a pure lead bullet for expansion or damage. But ive shot deer with powerbelts and they dont go far. I hunt in thick bottomland and all my shots are under 50 yards. everything has been a clean pass through with no bullets recovered, the lungs have always been a mess, and a basic hole through whatever else is in the path.

Are you referring to the 10mm, 44cal or .451 200gr XTP?

The 10mm is pretty good if not driven too fast or impacting too fast. They appear to be a decent youth load bullet.

The 44cal is probably fine at most ML speeds. A 44mag rifle should be able to achieve about 1800fps

The .451 is likely the most fragile of the bunch since it is made for 45ACP speeds. I would not use this bullet for any deer hunting.

Pushing any bullet too far past its design limits is a recipe for failure and poor performance. Add a poor sectional density and penetration goes south fast with a conventional bullet.

I have shot the 200 grain XTP in the 10mm model out of a 50 caliber on the target range only. They are very accurate with 85 grains of powder. I did some water jug tests but all I really saw was the jugs blowing up. I would guess that on a light skinned animal like a deer they would perform real well if put into major organs where the small bullet could expand. But I have no in the field experience with the bullet. Only about 200 rounds of range time with it.

That is the preferred bullet for me to shoot in my Encore 45 conversion. I do not shoot it very hot, about 21-2200 fps. It gives good terminal performance for me. It may be a bit fragile at the top end there but at ranges past 35 -40yd it is really good. It giver excellent accuracy too. I shoot it in the ribbed blue sabot as my 45 barrel is "tight". Last year I shot a nice doe, 85 lb., full length as in just inside right front shoulder and bullet went full length of body, exit near groin and back into hind quarter and stop under skin at back of leg. Full mushroom and wt of 173 grains. Range was 45 yards. I do shoot the 10mm/40 cal 200 gr SST in my MLII 50 cal. and it is accurate and gives good performance, however I have to use sub base hot glued on bottom of sabot to keep from blowing the sabots. My results, yours may be different. W

stringtalker said:
has anyone use the hornady xtp 200 grain bullets in there 50 caliber muzzleloader, let me know how they shot and performed on deer, thanks

Personally you might take a look at the Speer 40x180 Gold Dot, it is a bonded bullet with controlled expansion.

Also I did shoot the 40x200 XTP for awhile and I did find it to be a very good bullet. Shot paper really well and seemed to hold together better than other XTP's at the higher velocities.

I had excellent accuracy results with the 10mm 200gr XTP in 45cal MLs. It shot even better than the 200gr SST when the loads were reduced and far better than the Barnes 195gr. The Barnes for me preferred a hotter load than either one.

Another good bullet imo is the Nosler 10mm 200gr. In a 250pack they are bit cheaper than the XTP and i found them to be very uniform/consistent. IIRC they are also a pure lead core. http://www.nosler.com/sporting-handgun-pistol

GM54-120 said:
I had excellent accuracy results with the 10mm 200gr XTP in 45cal MLs. It shot even better than the 200gr SST when the loads were reduced and far better than the Barnes 195gr. The Barnes for me preferred a hotter load than either one.

Another good bullet imo is the Nosler 10mm 200gr. In a 250pack they are bit cheaper than the XTP and i found them to be very uniform/consistent. IIRC they are also a pure lead core. http://www.nosler.com/sporting-handgun-pistol

I really agree with you on the suggestion of the Nosler 40x200... They are an excellent shooting bullet. I did not suggest them because of the size/amount of bullets you order. 250 bullets might be a bit much if you are just experimenting to find a bullet.

I just bought some 180gn xtp in .451 for a youth load with 1 50 pyro pellet. Hope to test this weekend. What might the max effective range be? 75 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have did some testing on the .451 200 gr XTP. All of it was with 45 auto. I have shot car doors and put heavy denim stuffed with flannel behind car doors. They all performed awesome at 45 auto levels. I don't know about pushing them faster. This picture is of one that went through a car door, though denim and flannel then into a dirt bank. Speed on these were 850 FPS. Ron

bullet1.jpg

Latest posts

Back