TC Black Diamond 209 breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confederate rifleman said:
Any 1/4x28 nipple will work in you Diamond. I like Ampco's as they hold up quite well(400+ shots before replacement) and are very friendly on threads and striker faces being softer than steel. The only benefit to 209's is that they are more available than 11's or muskets lately. I have always found better accuracy with the least powerful ignition source.I believe that powerful igniters like 209s will get the load moving up bore before complete ignition occurs. This plays merry hob with load density, compression etc, which does zip for accuracy.I once expelled a 320gr lee REAL ( dry balled) with 3 musket caps. Popped a 209 with a patch on the jag to see what it would do and the rammer was 1/2 way out of the barrel. Seems a bit excessively powerful to me. I admit that for years now all I shoot is Swiss black, but I used to shoot T7 and never found 11's or muskets wanting in ability to fire the charge . An important advantage to caps over 209's in striker fired inlines is moisture proofing. If you look at the 209 module for your Diamond, or any other non-fpj holder, you will note that when the primer is fully inserted there is about 1/16 to 3/32 inch of space between the front of the primer and the face of the recess in the carrier. This space will allow moisture to get to your powder and will turn the fouling left from a shot into nasty goo. Imho there is nothing to be gained by using 209's in striker fired inlines.

Thats man. This was very helpful.

No my plug does not have that shoulder as you described.

Latest posts

Back