Anyone ever turned rifle to pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
junkman said:
I load it with 80 gr volume and a 300 gr Hornady .458 hp.It's fun to shoot,normaly that's the one everybody wants to try.
That should be a fun load. Did you try any lighter bullets like the 200gners? How much useable barrel is actually left? I was just curious on weight.

Barrel length from the face of the breach plug is 12 inches.And the overall weight is 5.5 lbs.But befor doing something like this check your state laws.No need to end up in the grey bar motel.

junkman said:
Barrel length from the face of the breach plug is 12 inches.And the overall weight is 5.5 lbs.But befor doing something like this check your state laws.No need to end up in the grey bar motel.

Dang that is heavy, hows the accuracy/velocity after chopping the barrel..too bad it wouldnt work with the old plunger style knights, have a feeling with the extra recoil it would drive the bolt knob right bak into your thumb knuckle..If I didnt hate the thought of destroying my walnut stocked Black Diamond it would be perfect for this project, would be fairly light also.

It will hold a group a little bigger than a silver dollar at fifty yards.As for fps I'm not sure I have yet to run it threw a crony.But I can tell you this.It will shoot completely threw both rear quarter of a Jeep Cheroki that we used to use for a back stop.

junkman said:
It will hold a group a little bigger than a silver dollar at fifty yards.As for fps I'm not sure I have yet to run it threw a crony.But I can tell you this.It will shoot completely threw both
if you dont mind telling what did you use to chop and recrown your barrel...if I do this will be the 1st time trying it and would like to use the simplest and as close to best method possible...

Used a hack saw and then I had a freind with a lathe true up and crown the muzzle.

junkman said:
Used a hack saw and then I had a freind with a lathe true up and crown the muzzle.

Thanks, have a friend of a friend who owns a machine shop, might ask him what he`d charge me to do it..

I traded some venison back staps and some back issues of hunting magazines to get mine done.Sometimes a trade of sorts is better than cash.

Man I would love to do this to an Omega!

Just be careful :nono: ,once you cut down one then you start looking at others and think :think: hey that one could probly use a few less inches of barrel too.

junkman said:
So what's stoping you?

Need to find a cheaper Omega to do it to. Sure not doing it to the one I have now. I like it to much the way it is

Just keep your eyes peeled for a cheap used rifle that you can work with. :yeah:

There's an Omega z5 on armslist for $250 right now. Might let it sit a week or two then offer him $200. That would be a good start.

Well I'm at it again.This time I'm shortening up an old Traditions side lock that been colecting dust.I just got done practice dovetailing a cutoff end of a barrel.And it turned out pretty good.One or two more practice dovetails and I should have it down.

Back