Time to Upgrade my Omega to a ????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Broad Arrow

Reaction score
I have been to the range these past 4 weekends getting a better feel for my Omega and working up a new load. I think I am almost there. Having moved to loose powder the 110-120 gr of T7 under a 250 Shock wave seems to produce the most consistent results. I like to test around this time of year as the temperature is close to that during the time and place I hunt in November.

However, after running all these test on different loads two things have become apparent.

1) The lack of a break action on my Omega makes reloading and removing the spent primer difficult.
2) The breechplug seems to foul very quickly and requires me to remove it to clean the hard carbon from the fire channel using a 1/8 drill bit.

Question:

I am now seeing the shortcomings of my Omega. I think it might be time to move up to another TC. Is the Triumph the next logical step for me, or are there other options to be considered?

Many thanks!

Solutions?

Accept the difficulty of removing and replacing primers by becoming more patient, and improving your dexterity.

Use a 5/32" drill, and increase the diameter of the fire channel, which will allow more shots between cleaning.

Solutions?

The Pro Hunter is an excellent rifle and can be extremely accurate. The FX is a dedicated muzz and many are very satisfied with it. The XT is an option, along with the 209x50 Pro Hunter. Myself I prefer the 209x50 Pro Hunter. You'll find that most keep a 1/8" drill bit handy to clean the flash channel, especially if you shoot magnum primers and BH209.

ronlaughlin said:
Solutions?

Accept the difficulty of removing and replacing primers by becoming more patient, and improving your dexterity.

Use a 5/32" drill, and increase the diameter of the fire channel, which will allow more shots between cleaning.

Solutions?

I did not know I could drill out my breechplug that way without causing other problems or a dangerous condition.
So are you in fact saying that the Omega is the better ML of the two with this mods and a personal improvement in my dexterity ?

C Broad Arrow said:
ronlaughlin said:
Solutions?

Solutions?

I did not know I could drill out my breechplug that way without causing other problems or a dangerous condition.
So are you in fact saying that the Omega is the better ML of the two with this mods and a personal improvement in my dexterity ?

I would suggest to you that the Omega is a very good rifle. I am not sure why you might be having problems getting the primer out - it should just fall out. One thing might be that you current BP might be worn out. The flash hole in the end of the plug may have grown so large that is allowing enough blow back to come back through the BP that it is swelling your primer and also causing the flash channel in the BP to fill with blow back materials.

I altered all of my Omega's and Triumph BP to accept a vent liner and increase the diameter of the flash channel.

This is an Omega plug drilled out with a #21 drill bit

This is the project...

Sabotloader, Many thanks for taking the time to post this information. It gives me a number of additional options to consider.

My post earlier today was born in part by frustration over my inability to remove and replace the 209 primer in my Omega. On several occasions the primer when removed fell into the trigger assembly and for all of those who know Murphy, found its way into the crannies from which extraction was a challenge.

With temperatures hovering around -10C the negotiating the area between the trigger assembly and the breech plug was a challenge today. I used the supplied tool to remove and install primers and met with some success. Needless to say accuracy and shot placement are all that now matters.

I purchased a 1/8 drill bit from Lowe's on the way to the range to keep the fire channel clear of carbon from the primer.
I even picked up an extra breech plug from a local gun shop just in case.
I swabbed between shots. Cleared the fire channel.
I shot a number of powders- Shockey Gold, Pyrodex, Triple 7(still plying with loads) and Triple 7 Magnums. The best group (so far) is Triple 7 Magnums with 2 preformed 50 grain pellets.

The results are posted below. Target was shot at 100 yards.

I had the opportunity to talk to another TC enthusiast at the range. I discussed with him my “issues” and he had a number of observations.
1)The one piece stock of the Omega aided in its accuracy.
2)You usually only get one shot, so from a hunter’s point of view “Make it count".
3)Cleaning is done back at home or camp.
4)Buy an extra breech plug and replace the current one when and if it starts to show wear.

Normally, I would like to think that I can analyse the situation and come to the same observations, but sometimes one can be too close to the forest to see the trees.
I think I need to practice more, continue to play with loads, and tinker with the breech plug through various modifications that have been suggested.
The Omega is a good rifle and I am now considering hunting with it during the rifle season. I will let you know how things go.

C Broad Arrow said:
..............I did not know I could drill out my breechplug that way without causing other problems or a dangerous condition.

All of the Omega breech plugs i use, have a 5/32" fire channel except for the ones that use large rifle primers. It certainly does not create a dangerous condition; actually it seems to reduce the pressure on the 209 primers. Increasing the volume of the fire channel reduces blow back coming through the 209 primer. Heavy powder loads, and/or hot summer days result in soot coming right through 209 primers in my Omega(s). What i mean is shown in the photo.

209soot.jpg

The amount of leakage shown in the photo was made whilst using 140g of powder, and would not normally occur when using sane loads, but can happen on hot summer days. A fire channel of 5/32" reduces the soot coming through the primer.

After many many shots, the flash hole will grow large enough so that the primer will experience excess pressure. That is when you replace the breech plug, or install a vent liner in the worn breech plug.

No, i am not saying the Omega is a better rifle than the Triumph. Actually my personal belief of the 'best' rifle is quite irrelevant. One thing i do know for sure; the 45 caliber Omega i own, is the most accurate muzzle loader i have ever shot. It has killed a milk jug at over 1/4 mile, and an antelope at over 300 yard. The 50 caliber Omega, has been putting deer in our freezer year after year after year after.. Carrying the 50 caliber Omega during our regular rifle season never made me feel handicapped whilst hunting in the timber, and if i did my job, the rifle did it's job. In my experience, normally, when hunting with a muzzle loader, or a breech loader, i get one shot.

The scopes on my rifles are mounted low low. A few primers have fallen into the innards of the action, because my fingers failed at the range, but never once whilst hunting. Much of my hunting is done when temperatures are around -10C, but we think it is around 14 degrees.

What primers are you using Broad Arrow? My primers generally fall out by tipping the gun up, though I sometimes need to give them a flick with my fingernail. I get no fouling around the primer. The breech block closes tight against W209s in my gun. \

The Omega is a fine rifle. I've never had much trouble with the primers and I have big sausage fingers. If it really give you trouble, turn it upside down when you pull them.

I'm a bit perplexed about the need to clean the flame channel while in the field or at the range? While I clean mine at the end of a range session, I've never had to do so prior and I'n guessing I've had 20 -30 shot practice sessions.

Ronlaughlin

Thanks for the response. After today at the range I have a renewed sense of confidence in the Omega and actually have enjoyed shooting it more and more each time I take it out.
Minus 10 is about 14 degrees and usually the temperature I usually find myself hunting deer.
Thanks for your replies it gives me some more more things to tinker with.

The Omega is widely considered by many as one of the best ML's ever built. So many folks love them and have had great success with them.

ronlaughlin is the Omega GURU. What he can do with the one's he owns is absolutely impressive.

Sabotloader and Semi have alot of experience with them too... some great resources for you to get advice from. Good luck with your gun. :D

LarryBud said:
The Omega is a fine rifle. I've never had much trouble with the primers and I have big sausage fingers. If it really give you trouble, turn it upside down when you pull them.

I'm a bit perplexed about the need to clean the flame channel while in the field or at the range? While I clean mine at the end of a range session, I've never had to do so prior and I'n guessing I've had 20 -30 shot practice sessions.

That is how I ended up getting out those spent primers that fell down into the trigger group. I look kinda funny shaking the gun, but it did eventually work...except for the ones that found Murphy's cranny.

The primers I am using are CCI primers. I bought them in bulk 20 years ago and I wonder if age might be the issue.

I am going to get some fresh ones and see if my result is any different.

Semisane said:
What primers are you using Broad Arrow? My primers generally fall out by tipping the gun up, though I sometimes need to give them a flick with my fingernail. I get no fouling around the primer. The breech block closes tight against W209s in my gun.

I think it might be the age of the primers. They are CCI primers but they are 20 years old. Trying some new ones next week.

WV Hunter said:
The Omega is widely considered by many as one of the best ML's ever built. So many folks love them and have had great success with them.

ronlaughlin is the Omega GURU. What he can do with the one's he owns is absolutely impressive.

Sabotloader and Semi have alot of experience with them too... some great resources for you to get advice from. Good luck with your gun. :D

Hi WVH!

After today's trip to the range I have renewed confidence in my Omega.
Thanks for the reply!

C Broad Arrow,

In my rifles the CCI always seemed a bit more dirty with carbon. Might give some Win 209 or Rem STS a try, they always worked good for me.

ShawnT said:
C Broad Arrow,

In my rifles the CCI always seemed a bit more dirty with carbon. Might give some Win 209 or Rem STS a try, they always worked good for me.

Good idea. I am trying to track down some Win 209s to give them a try.

Broad Arrow,
It is a shame that you have renewed confidence in your Omega. I was going to recommend you get rid of it as soon as possible and I was going to even PM you an address that you could send it to and never have to worry about it again. :wink:

daddy o said:
Broad Arrow,
It is a shame that you have renewed confidence in your Omega. I was going to recommend you get rid of it as soon as possible and I was going to even PM you an address that you could send it to and never have to worry about it again. :wink:

Well I will place you at the top of the list to call should I ever change my mind! :wink:

Back