Knight MK85 .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blued conventional synthetic. This one's been on my local dealer's rack for at least 20 years. I asked him if he had any wiggle room on the price ( $ 569) and he said he'd take $300. Good price ? Never had an MK85. Had an American a few years ago and it was a nice little booger. I need another inline like a fish needs a bicycle.. but she just looks so dusty and unloved... She's got Williams non- fiber op sights, a slotted breechplug, and a Green Mountain barrel. I love plunger inlines and this one seems to be a very high quality piece. What your thoughts?

$300 would be top dollar for SS. $200-$250 would be more appropriate for Blued IMO.

When asking is it it worth that much I always say... how bad to you want it? You know its a great rifle and probably never fired which is a big plus. So all you and do is ask yourself if you are willing to pay that much. I once paid very top dollar for a White Model 97. I felt I was paying too much but I wanted the rifle that bad. So I paid it. If I sold it I would probably never get my money out of the rifle. But then I purchased the rifle with an intent of not selling it.

Lots of wisdom there Cayuga... This one is unfired NIB as its the display model. Good looking rifle, I only wish it had a walnut stock. Just cant get warm and fuzzy over synthetics no matter how good they are and I feel Knight did have the best constructed synthetics. I guess the attraction is historical. The MK85 got the modern inline going in a big way. I also like the breech design in that it doesn't direct the blowback completely up( like my Black Diamond) and its a touch easier on scopes, if I go that route. I think it might also be easier to get good accuracy from full bore conicals with the Knight. The trigger is superb as is and the quality of manufacture appears as good as my Black Diamond XR. Guess I'm talking myself into it...

I sent my stock (black Composite) in and made it look better - well anyway to me it looks better...

MK85 is really hard to beat even though it is a 'plunger' gun.

That turned out very nice Sabotloader. I actually prefer the plungers to all other inline designs. The bolts never interested me, the break opens were tempermental . The Omega is a fine rifle excepting the closed breech/209 primer, need for rammer extensions and having to swap plugs every 400 rounds. Virtually nothing to go wrong with a plunger and they're legal everywhere.They are nice looking and easy to bed and a big advantage is their full length rammers, no telescoping rammers to bend no extensions to forget...

If u are in the market I have a stainless .50 MK with walnut that I've been contemplating selling. Pm me if you are I can get you details and pics. They are awesome guns for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own three mk's with one being a blued / synthetic stock mk 85 that is scoped. Blow back will get to the underside of your scope but I just put a small piece of electrical tape on the scope when doing range work. It was pretty easy to work up accurate loads for it. I have never shot conicals out of it because I have other guns (White and Gonic) set up to shoot those. I have hunted with it in all weather conditions with no issues. It does take a little time to clean up at the end of the day.

I think his price is high and would think after 20 years he would take any reasonable "cash"offer.

[quote="fliowa"} I think his price is high and would think after 20 years he would take any reasonable "cash"offer.[/quote]

I'd go back and lay 2 crispy Ben Franklins on the counter and tell him you're walking out of here with that MK85 or your $200.

I bought an unfired .50 and an unfired . 54 both for 200 bucks my buddy bought a stainless Bighorn thumbhole for 200 bucks.
They are great guns in my opinion. But not worth 300 dollars unless you get into a walnut or Laminated stock.

Truth be told the walnut stocked ones were the cheapest and the laminate and composite were priced about the same. The thumbhole laminated stocks were the highest priced.

Waiting on an attendance bonus from work. Tossing it back and forth though. Its a very fine rifle, but so is my Black Diamond XR... One very interesting point in favor of the MK85 is i can adjust for a lighter pull than my BD. The T/C trigger adjusts only for creep and overtravel, but the pull weight is a nice 4 lbs. The striker safety , when so adjusted, also permits dry firing with out harming the nipple or plug. POWERFUL incentive. The Black Diamond isn't going anywhere. Too many good times and awesome kills with the old girl...The Knight, just has a presence though.Before I decide though, I have to patch out the barrel. 20 years of dust bunnies can cause severe ugliness to form...

Latest posts

Back