Nikon Inline Xr 3-9x40 or Leupold Ultimate Slam 3X9X40?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy o

Reaction score
Guys,
I decided I am going to get a new scope but can't afford to spend a bundle. I have read really good reviews on both scopes. About the only knock I can find on the Nikon is the 5in eye relief is so excessive you are looking more "at the scope" instead of through it. Actually the 5 in eye relief is why I am interested in this scope. I have not read one single thing bad about the Leupold but the eye relief on it is only 3.7in. The scope I currently have is 3.75in eye relief and I have banged my eye and nose a couple times. But it is a cheap scope and I find myself having to move my head around sometimes to keep from having blackout around the edges. Thinking if I get better quality it won't do that. I have never actually looked through either scope, but plan on trying to find locally so I can look through them. Any of you have either or both? Based on actual experience which would you recommend? The Leupold is about $80 more but I have already resigned myself to make that my upper limit on what I can spend so it is not a deal breaker if that one gets more recommendations.

I can't compare and contrast but I do have a couple of Nikon Omega's.

Have you considered an Omega I find them to be very nice and you can pick them up for a reasonable price.

LarryBud,
The Omega is what I actually considered. It has been discontinued and replaced by the Inline Xr. And I found the Xr for $4 cheaper then the best price I found on the Omega. The only difference I can find between the Xr and Omega is Omega has 250BDC reticle and the Xr has 300BDC reticle. The difference does not matter to me either way. I am not a fan of the circles but do like the thought of the 5in eye relief.

I have 4 Nikons for muzzleloaders, 3 Omegas and 1 XR. The only difference I see is the crosshairs are setup a little different. I tried a Leupold once(not the slam), defective out of the box so I have no desire to try another but I hear they are good.

I wouldn't give up my 5 inches of eye relief for anything, I do not like to be kissed by my scopes and don't have to worry about my kids shooting the muzzy's and getting hit by them.

I have noticed that the price of the XR is less than what the Omega sold for, but I'm not sure if that means cheaper parts or what but I can tell no difference in quality between the Omegas and XR that I have.

I have 2 of the Leupold Ultimate Slams in the 3-9x40. Great scopes, never any problems. and I've never been kissed by one. Yet!

I've had 2 omega's . I sold them both and replaced them with Ultimate Slam's. With the Leupold quality and their warranty its not even close. Not to mention that their made in the U.S. by an American company!

Late replying to this post but I shoot the ultimate slam. It is a fantastic scope and I have used it frequently and in extreme conditions with no issues. I agree the eye relief may be a bit close for some. I have been kissed by the scope a couple of times. This is probably because I really snuggle into my rifle and am shooting 110 grains of BH 209.

Would make one suggestion if shooting the ultimate - buy a scope eye protector. Then if you do get kissed you will not be cut. Can not understand why Leopold does not include the rubber eye protector on their scopes. All my Nikon's have one built in.

I have at least 10 leupold ultimate slams on various slug guns/Muzzleloaders, and even a centerfire or 2 GREAT scopes never once did I have a problem with any. Through travel (both road and air) severe altitude and climate changes, Hunts in all sorts of bad conditions, They have proven their worth and reliability. To me, confidence in my equipment is priceless. Im sold on Leupold for life :yeah:

I fall in the same boat as you... eye relief. It must be the hold I use because if a scope is 3-1/2 inches or under, it will be knocking my hat off. Under 4 and it can at times shove the brim of the hat. So I like 3.75 to 4 inches or more of eye relief. I hate when a scope catches me. I have a lot of Nikon Scopes, three Pro Staff and an Omega. I really like the Nikon line of Optics. Just real quality. I have looked through the Leupolds at Wal Mart, and in particular the model your mentioning. Excellent glass, and I liked the cross hairs, but you can't really judge a scope staring through it at a Wal Mart looking at the tire department.

I personally would go after the Nikon for a couple reasons. The Nikon name, and warranty. Hard to beat. You mentioned the Leupold was more expensive, use the savings on some great rings. And the 5 inch eye relief. While that might sound like a lot, I used to shoot a Bushnell that had 6 inches. The reason I got rid of it was the muzzleloader shook it apart. But not because of the eye relief.

How often have you seen people at the range rest a rifle on the bench. Then they start crawling all over it, trying to get that perfect scope sight picture? Mount the scope properly to your eyes and I don't think that 5 inches will be an issue at all.

I had a 2 x 7 x 33 mm leupold ultimate slam SA.B.R. it had a little circle in the middle of the reticle. That little circle would obscure the aimpoint of my target at 100 yards. I felt I was shooting wider groups because of it. I purchased a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm with a German #4 reticle (about 45.00 more). I love the scope, my groups have closed up, it is clear as a bell, I don't know what the eye relief is but I have shot up to 120 grains of BH 209 with 300 grain bullet with no problem.

They are both good scopes, but if you are fairly tall say over 5' 10" I would recommend the extra eye relief. Getting their eyebrows cut up with a scope can make a flincher out of some folks.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went with the Nikon. Unfortunately I have not gotten around to shooting it yet. Everyday that I get time to go to the range it seems too breezy. But I gotta get out there soon. I think my main trouble with old scope was more an issue with not having good cheek weld rather than too short of eye relief. I found myself having to sorta hover my head to get a good line of sight through my other scope. I am shooting a TC Omega with standard stock. I wanted to buy a thumbhole stock because of the higher comb height but did not want to spend the money. So I built up comb height with a type of silicone putty. Now I can shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed and plant my cheek on the built up comb, open my eye, and be looking directly through the scope. As it should always be, I just didn't realize it was not a good fit. Can't wait to get out and shoot it. I bet the good cheek weld will help with some of my inconsistency as well.

Back