T/C Omega Newbee

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis G

Reaction score
Just bought a old Omega .45cal in good shape. SS barrel and grey laminate stock. Paid $175 with a lot of extra gear, sabots, round balls, and 2 boxes of Triple7 pellets. This is my first ML and it looked like a good place to start. I'm newly retired and want to do a little huntin' in NJ with this ML

Here's the problem ... I learned (after buying) this barrel has a 1:20 twist which was found to be too fast for accurate shooting. In 2003 they changed to 1:28 twist which greatly increased the accuracy and replaced barrels under warranty for original owners. Since I'm about the third owner I'm stuck. Does anyone have any info on good loads? I know balls don't work and high velocity loads don't work. Also, is it possible to redo this barrel into a larger cal with the proper twist?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with some insight into the problem.

Some of the myths about the 1/20 twist are unfounded.
I would try some 200 gr sst's or xtp's in this barrel with smooth blue harvester sabots and use whatever powder you have
and see what happens. You may be surprised.

DerfHunter .. Just order some sst's from Midway. They have them on sale. Will give them a try and start with 80 grs of loose Triple 7. Thank's for the info.

Dennis G

Dennis,

I think you should sell it to me for a small profit.

What I would with it is get some Harvester Blue sabots. I get both the smooth blue and Crushed Rib. Then, buy some 200 SST's as mentioned above.

I believe the sabot polymer has improved in the past 10 years and the 1/ 20 will do just fine.

I agree with what's being said. The old sabot formulations did not like the 1-20, but the sabots they build now work well. The SST200 or the Barnes MZ195 in a Harvester sabot (you'll have to determine EZ load or crush rib) should make a great deer killer for you. Start at 80 & work your way up to 110grains & see where it shoots the best

You guys are making me feel much better about this purchase. I switched to Triple 7 loose FFF 70grs and some 195 powerbelts that the previous owner had thrown in. The accuracy was very good at 50yds. I find that to get the bullet all the way down without really pounding I have to swab after every shot. If I don't it's a problem getting the powerbelt all the way down. As I stated , Midway is sending me 5 packs of 20 200gr SSt for about $10 a pack. I quess the sabots will be the standard one they come with. How should I be buying these in the future? Separate sabot and bullet purchases? If so where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks everyone for your help. I originally shot some rounds balls with 2 50gr pellets and could barely hit paper.

Dennis G said:
You guys are making me feel much better about this purchase. I switched to Triple 7 loose FFF 70grs and some 195 powerbelts that the previous owner had thrown in. The accuracy was very good at 50yds. I find that to get the bullet all the way down without really pounding I have to swab after every shot. If I don't it's a problem getting the powerbelt all the way down. As I stated , Midway is sending me 5 packs of 20 200gr SSt for about $10 a pack. I quess the sabots will be the standard one they come with. How should I be buying these in the future? Separate sabot and bullet purchases? If so where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks everyone for your help. I originally shot some rounds balls with 2 50gr pellets and could barely hit paper.

When you want to buy more, you can buy the bullets in bulk (SST 200 or Barnes MZ195) as well as Harvester crus rib, EZ load smooth, or MMP tan sabots from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. He will have all you need at the best price. A lot of shooters buy from Carlos because he is such an upstanding guy. The shop # is 910-692-7936

Round balls with 2 50 grain pellets out of a 1/20 twist barrel?

I'm surprised you hit paper. Definitely not the load for your rifle.

If you're shooting T7, expect to swab between shots. MZ Hunting is a one shot hunt anyway. Just make that one count.

You could switch to Blackhorn 209 powder which is what I personally prefer. It's a little more expensive but no swabbing.

You will be very impressed with the accuracy you will obtain with the SST's.

The fellow I bought it from was shooting that setup. Probably thought the barrel was bad and that's why he sold it to me for a low price. When I used the patched balls I also thought I got stuck. Glad to have found this site and received some good info. I've going to put the balls and lubed patches in the "Free" box at my range. Perhaps someone with the proper rifle can use them.

From another recent retiree... The TC 1:20 barrels are made for sabots, doubt you will get anything else to shoot accurately (had one in Encore variety). The QLA (false muzzle) is/could be a problem also if its off center! My White Super 91 in .451 1:20 twist will shoot conicals all day long into a small group, so not the twist fault, its the maker of the barrel. If I was you I'd use the pellets at the range for fun and start using loose Triple 7 3Fg in your 45, 2Fg will work, but the 3Fg is hotter. Yes, your gonna have to swab between shots, nature of the tight TC barrels. Once you get the rifle shooting groups and killing deer you will wonder why you waited so long!! :lol: I will warn you its addicting! 8)

Feel much better about this purchase now. Went to range and shot 5 groups of 3 and all were nice and tight. Shot at 50 yds as the 100 range was crowded. Used 200gr SST over 70 gr (by V) of loose 777 3f powder and swabbed after every shot. I think the rifle is plenty accurate to hunt with. Just can't use patched balls.

I used Gorilla grease on the breech plug but it was very still difficult to get loose. Anyone know of a better product?

Dennis G said:
Feel much better about this purchase now. Went to range and shot 5 groups of 3 and all were nice and tight. Shot at 50 yds as the 100 range was crowded. Used 200gr SST over 70 gr (by V) of loose 777 3f powder and swabbed after every shot. I think the rifle is plenty accurate to hunt with. Just can't use patched balls.

I used Gorilla grease on the breech plug but it was very still difficult to get loose. Anyone know of a better product?

Put a tiny drop of thin oil on the threads then wrap with one layer of teflon tape. Tighten the breech plug but don't get it as tight as you can. Should come out easy every time.

Thanks for the tip .. used plain old plumbers Teflon tape with a little grease and the breech plug came right out after shooting all morning (about 20 rounds).

Just exchanged emails with Ethan at Track of the Wolf. He suggested I try some Maxi-Balls. They sound like a good idea. They're heavier (260 gr) than the SST sabots I've been using as I wanted a better bullet for whitetails out to about 100 yds. I hunt in NJ and 100yds is about max for the pinelands and the swamps. He feels they will be accurate in my .45 cal. Omega.

Any suggestions on powder charge? I use loose T7 (about 80gr by V) with my 200gr SST.

That SST 200 or the Barnes MZ195 will be devastating on deer at the ranges that you hunt

If you want to try a heavier 40cal sabotted bullet, look at the Precision Rifle QTs or Dead Centers in 240-260gr. They should be great in a 1-20. A 45cal 260gr conical is pretty light for that twist. Full bore, you would be better off with a 400gr+ bullet

I like the 200gr SSTs though for the money. Luke at ArrowHead Sporting Goods LLC sells them in bulk too. IIRC they are about $55/100

Just as an update .. Been fooling around with the Maxi-balls from Track of the Wolf. They're not as accurate as the SST sabots but much better than the round balls. Interesting to note that they seem to tighten up with a lighter charge of 70 grs of T7 while the sabots definitely like 90 grs. better. On the MMP site they suggest Hornady 400 x 200 gr XTP pistol bullets in one of the sabots they sell. Anyone tried these? Going to the grand opening of Cabela's new store in De and will see if they have them. MMP also seems to like Nosler 400 x 200 gr JHP.

I appreciate all the help. The breech plug problem is gone and 100 yd. accuracy is definitely improving.

The 40cal 200gr XTP or Nosler should be fine at 90gr. Even the 180gr XTP might hold up. They have all been accurate for me in a variety of 45s from 1-30 to 1-20. I just normally hunt with a 200gr SST or Barnes 195gr. Avoid the 10mm/40cals under 180gr. The 1-20 twist is better suited to longer bullets.

Most Omegas will not shoot Maxiballs very well due to the QLA, so unless they are doing well, I would not spend much time on them. One thing you could try is putting a MMP ballistic base sub base under them

Back