Anybody tried these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronlaughlin said:
In response to your request, i am posting my result.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24615

Thanks Ron. Is the bullet itself a .451" bullet and how do you feel about the advertised BC of .250?

If the bullet is a .451, I thought about getting my hands on a few, then ordering the MMP HPH/24 sabot and trying them in the Ultimate.

They are a .458 not a .451 I imagine they would shoot good in a MMP Orange or I have ever used the 3 petal EZ with a .458 Hornady in my gun loads a little tighter than the MMP Orange.

BTMZ-50cal-300gr.jpg

Your question about the diameter of this bullet got me, and i was headed out to the shop to take a measurement, when i remembered the orange sabot, which is used for 0.458 bullets. This bullet only worked for me in the loose barrel Dream Season, where i could use a black crush rib, in lieu of the orange sabot. In the X7 with a tighter barrel, this bullet needs to be used with the orange sabot, and it didn't seem to be accurate. PLease understand i haven't shot this bullet near enough times, to really 'know' it's accuracy.

Most of my paper shooting in life, has been done at 3000 feet up to 5000 feet. Published BC have always seemed quite correct, in my experience. Long have i read, that published BC are normally inflated, but i have never found this to be true. Many times with many bullets, i have used a ballistic program to calculate how much to twist the elevation dial when the rifle is zeroed at 100 yard, to impact the target at longer ranges. This has worked for me at ranges of 200 yard to 1/4 mile. My experience with these particular bullet is quite scant; there is no way i can comment on the BC.

ronlaughlin said:
BTMZ-50cal-300gr.jpg

Your question about the diameter of this bullet got me, and i was headed out to the shop to take a measurement, when i remembered the orange sabot, which is used for 0.458 bullets. This bullet only worked for me in the loose barrel Dream Season, where i could use a black crush rib, in lieu of the orange sabot. In the X7 with a tighter barrel, this bullet needs to be used with the orange sabot, and it didn't seem to be accurate. PLease understand i haven't shot this bullet near enough times, to really 'know' it's accuracy.

Most of my paper shooting in life, has been done at 3000 feet up to 5000 feet. Published BC have always seemed quite correct, in my experience. Long have i read, that published BC are normally inflated, but i have never found this to be true. Many times with many bullets, i have used a ballistic program to calculate how much to twist the elevation dial when the rifle is zeroed at 100 yard, to impact the target at longer ranges. This has worked for me at ranges of 200 yard to 1/4 mile. My experience with these particular bullet is quite scant; there is no way i can comment on the BC.

How about the diameter with the bullet inside the sabot? I'm looking for .505"........

Well got to thinking and they wouldn't work as they are, or with the MMP sabots. They may not withstand the 200gr load and with the MMP, it wouldn't fit the bore.

You may be surprised about what a MMP sabot can handle. I'm using the MMP Orange with the Hornady 325 FTX and it measures at .505 loaded dia. The Orange sabot is from their HPH series which is meant to handle magnum powder charges. Heat will be your worst enemy. I shoot the MMP green out of my 50 with the Hornady 265 FTX over 130 gr. BH209. I'm not going to try and compare pressures since your pellets most likely reach a higher peak pressure and they do it faster. However my load is under pressure longer due to the progressive nature of BH209. I also have more unsupported sabot that would allow a failure easier. The only failures I have experienced have been when not allowing the barrel to cool down during summer shooting. Try them they may surprise you.

Hornet22savage said:
You may be surprised about what a MMP sabot can handle. I'm using the MMP Orange with the Hornady 325 FTX and it measures at .505 loaded dia. The Orange sabot is from their HPH series which is meant to handle magnum powder charges. Heat will be your worst enemy. I shoot the MMP green out of my 50 with the Hornady 265 FTX over 130 gr. BH209. I'm not going to try and compare pressures since your pellets most likely reach a higher peak pressure and they do it faster. However my load is under pressure longer due to the progressive nature of BH209. I also have more unsupported sabot that would allow a failure easier. The only failures I have experienced have been when not allowing the barrel to cool down during summer shooting. Try them they may surprise you.

I'd be interested, especially if Ron could measure the bullet in the sabot. I believe anything over .505 would load to tight in this Ultimate. The Whitetail Medicine bullets which were provided, are .505 and I wouldn't want more loading force, although I haven't put the Wagner gage on it yet. I had a phone conversation with Ultimate yesterday and they told me it was a "toss up", which actually is between each different Ultimate but, the Whitetail Medicine bullet in most Ultimates shoots more accurate than the BE. My assumption....... is that the Whitetail Medicine bullet is an SST in the HPH24 sabot. My belief and experience tells me that anything over .505 will load to hard.

My guess is that the 130gr load of BH that you're shooting is by volume or 91grs weight? Have you tested velocity using the 265's and 130grs?

ronlaughlin said:
Measurements made of 7 Nosler Ballistic Tip MZ bullet/sabot using 2 different caliper.

BTMZ.jpg

Thank you very much for the measurements. It appears that bullet/sabot will load no different that what I currently am shooting. Thanks again!

I personally have not clocked them since I don't have a chrono yet. However I did send some to Omega45 and he clocked them with 120 gr. and got an average of 2150. I have been working towards getting a chrono however every time I get close I find another ML I want and spend my money.

Hornet22savage said:
I personally have not clocked them since I don't have a chrono yet. However I did send some to Omega45 and he clocked them with 120 gr. and got an average of 2150. I have been working towards getting a chrono however every time I get close I find another ML I want and spend my money.

I've always said that I didn't need a chronograph.......... Ya what do I know?

I'm not shooting (staying with) the "recommended" bullet by Ultimate, unless I start shooting Parkers. I'm NOT a fan of the SST or SW at all. Although they can be accurate, I'm NOT happy at all with their performance on game. I'm making a trip this morning for an eye appointment and if I can find the Nosler at Jay's, I'll buy some and try them just to see how they shoot. I have a call into the lab at Western and waiting for a return call. I want to know how much BH it'll take to get me to 2,350fps (muzzle) with a 300gr bullet. I put a lot of money into that scope and would like to come close to matching the custom turret.

Latest posts

Back