338g Boolitz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems Screwbolts felt sorry for me as i struggled with the 45 acp bullet in my rifle. He sent me a couple versions of his boolitz to try. This morning, the 338g LBT-LFN water dropped W. W. was tried.

P1030941.JPG

The load was 90g Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, CCI 250 primer, and the boolit. Kinda planned to shoot close range first to see how they worked in my rifle, but mud was bad bad bad, so i took the easy out, and shot from 200 yard. It was wonderful to see the very first shot hit paper. It was great when the second shot also hit in the red.

338boolit.jpg

Traveling further through a muddy mess, the truck took us to a nice level spot to set up the bullet trap.

P1030931.JPG

One shot was taken at paper to see that the boolit hit about 2" high. The range was 45 yard. Then the camera was started, and aiming 2" low on the trap, a boolit was sent on the way.

238boolit-poster.jpg

P1030933.JPG

The boolit went through all milk jugs, the first phone book, and halfway through the second phone book.

The Capture video.

Then i spent some time shooting my 45 acp at paper, and water filled jugs. Then a move was made back to where a 200 yard shot could be made. The breeze was plenty strong, and swirly. The following target shows 6 shots at the top target from 200 yard, made by the boolitz, and 5 shots at the bottom target made from 39' with the 45 pistol.

P1030934.JPG

I cast a bunch today, they came out to 330 grn and .454 size from straight sailboat keel (Im east coast, and after sandy, there was a smorgasbord of derelict sailboats free for salvage. A few buddies split the cost of a 30 yard dumpster and used a mason saw to cut up the boat, then a chainsaw to cut the keel into manageable pieces and split it) Not bad for four guys at about $80 a piece, for prob about 5-600 lbs each. After one day of labor. I dont have a tester, but after smelting and casting with it now twice, im pretty certain its pretty pure. It is very soft. If i stumble onto another, I would definitely do it again. I cant get photo's to load to photobucket, and Im just not computor savvy enough to go crazy figuring out why. Ill try to get to the range in the next few days for the real testing :D

That keel sounds to be some good lead. Your mold seems to produce a bullet quite similar to the 338g boolit screwbolts sent me. Hopefully yours will shoot as accurately as the boolitz i tried!

ronlaughlin said:
That keel sounds to be some good lead.
Sure does. I never knew they used lead in sail boats, learn something new everyday.

That is a good looking bullet but looks like the WW is a bit on the hard side since it looks like very little expansion happened. Looks like it shoots good though.

I just got a new LBT mould for a .500 330grn bullet but don't have the rest of the equipment and lead yet maybe in a month or two. One step at a time.

True hardcast displaces tissue a little differently than a soft lead bullet. The large metplat is all that is needed, along with enough velocity. Now, say you cant get enough or you simply dont want it. Softer lead will help. The soft metplat grows and helps compensate for the lower fps. Tissue misplacement increases and the bullet will hold together if not shot too fast.

Its an interesting balancing act unless you always want two holes. Those hardcast plow through a lot of tissue or anything else that gets in their way.

ShawnT said:
ronlaughlin said:
That keel sounds to be some good lead.
Sure does. I never knew they used lead in sail boats, learn something new everyday.

That is a good looking bullet but looks like the WW is a bit on the hard side since it looks like very little expansion happened. Looks like it shoots good though.

I just got a new LBT mould for a .500 330grn bullet but don't have the rest of the equipment and lead yet maybe in a month or two. One step at a time.

I am not near as versatile as you guys casting you own. I rely on Bullshop Dan for those lead freight trains.

Ordered these a month or so back... figured they would be great for ML deer hunting...

GM54-120 said:
True hardcast displaces tissue a little differently than a soft lead bullet. The large metplat is all that is needed, along with enough velocity. Now, say you cant get enough or you simply dont want it. Softer lead will help. The soft metplat grows and helps compensate for the lower fps. Tissue misplacement increases and the bullet will hold together if not shot too fast.

Its an interesting balancing act unless you always want two holes. Those hardcast plow through a lot of tissue or anything else that gets in their way.

Yup you are correct. Sort of forgot about that. Veral was telling me that on the phone one day when discussing my mould and guess I had a brain fart when I was typing. Must of been thinking more of jacketed stuff. :d'oh!:

Back from the range. I shot about 20 of those self cast soft lead. 330 grn and .454 size in the Triumph (it was my first inline, and usually the first to try some new combo. Its definitely not my best, but still has a soft spot)HPH24 sabot, 100 grn goex 2f and win 209. It did OK, but no happy dance. Inside an inch at 50 yard, about 2-1/2 at 100, and about 6" at 200.
Fine for me, I never shoot over prob 40 yards really, But I will tweak some and see over the summer. Maybe a bit looser sabot or heavier load...
And need to find a flat loading jag for the big metplat, I did ring the top with my jag on most. It was the best fit jag I had today.

Latest posts

Back