Todays short testing sesson

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Although I was able to shoot today, I was hurried, as there were other commitments that were a priority. We all know how that is......

I started with 6 loads of BH209, weighed to 100grs. This load will get me pretty close to 2350, or close enough. My first fouling shot wasn't that great, nor was the group today. I shot the 300gr whitetail medicine bullets which came with the rifle. I knew my shooting was going to be sub-par before I loaded the first time, as I had other things on my mind. I shot the following 6 loads, going to the target and marking each one after I shot to let the barrel cool:

Even though I knew that the Barnes TMZ 290's I had probably wouldn't shoot worth a crap, I decided to send 3 rounds at a new target. I had a feeling that the boattail sabot most likely would fail but, shot 3 of them anyway. I switched back to 3-T7m's to shoot these:

As I had suspected, the boattail sabots would not withstand the pressure. You can see the difference next to one shot out of my Pro Hunter.

I had a short conversation with Bob Parker this evening, what a great guy! We will continue our conversation most likely tomorrow, as I plan on ordering from Bob. I found that he has three (3) Ultimates and they ALL shoot BH209 perfect. My suspicion is that I'll learn a lot more by talking to Bob.....

I started with 6 loads of BH209, weighed to 100grs.

Is that 100 grains by weight or 100 grains by volume? I think 100 gr by volume should weigh about 77 grains by weight. A 100 grain gr weighed would run nearly 130 grains by volume - that might be a tad hot . . .

tpcollins said:
I started with 6 loads of BH209, weighed to 100grs.

Is that 100 grains by weight or 100 grains by volume? I think 100 gr by volume should weigh about 77 grains by weight. A 100 grain gr weighed would run nearly 130 grains by volume - that might be a tad hot . . .

That was 100 grains by WEIGHT, or 143 grs VOLUME. WARNING...... NEVER SHOOT FROM A PRODUCTION RIFLE.
The Ultimate is capable of handling up to 200grs of substitute or 150grs BH209.......... VOLUME.

I only shot 3 rounds of the boattail 290gr TMZ's and had a strong feeling that the sabot would fail, and they did. The remaining box full of TMZ bullets will be sold when I sell my Pro Hunter.

I learned more yesterday about BH, how it was developed and what pressures it creates. Western did tests up to 112grs WEIGHT in their test barrel. That charge in their test barrel gave a velocity of 2,400fps. It was explained that BH is linear when it comes to both charge to velocity and charge to pressure. According to Western (Don), the published pressures for their loading data does not exceed 25,000psi, where three pellets run around 30,000psi. Don stated that there were no pressure spikes in their testing, when the load was increased and it remained linear, including velocity. It was also explained that with BH, there's a point where the volume of propellant will not be completely burned in the barrel prior to the bullet exiting, however this testing was completed using 209 primers and not a hotter LRMP. Although the conversation was short yesterday, as the person was driving and talking on his phone, charges of up to 160 grains WEIGHT have been fired his Ultimate rifles, of which he owns three. I was told that it gets to a point where the sabot, regardless of which kind, fails to hold up. However, shooting 100grs by weight in a custom barrel designed for the pressure is well within that barrels pressure capability.

Hmm, maybe try the same test and add the MMP Ballistic sub base under the sabot. It claims it was designed for higher pressures. I cant remember exactly who/where now, I think over on dougs someone did a big writeup on the BBS and found it did help with higher pressure loads and accuracy. Im thinking it was some smokeless sabot testing

I talked with Bob Parker for a short time yesterday, as he was driving and on his cell. I'll be calling him back this next week for sure. I know I need to get completely away from any boattail bullets and go with just a flat base. I sent an email to Luke and he responded with the suggestion of the MMP HPH-24.

I've yet to get a complete grasp on the X-Mark Pro trigger and the thumbhole. I like the McMillan stock and if there was anything I'd change about it, would be to move the thumbhole about 1/4" forward. I'm about the 50th percentile with hand anthropometrics and moving the hole closer to the trigger would benefit a better trigger finger position. Anyone below the 50th percentile shouldn't, IMO, order a thumbhole stock. I do like the cheek to stock fit though.

tpcollins said:
Squeeze said:
Hmm, maybe try the same test and add the MMP Ballistic sub base under the sabot. It claims it was designed for higher pressures.

Here's a link to the sub base for wanting to shoot warp speed.

http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb- ... -sub-base/

Thanks, I'll check them out. I still need to call Bob Parker. Been a busy day, the wife had a deer demolish her Equinox this morning.... right in town! Thankfully she wasn't hurt.

ENCORE50A said:
tpcollins said:
Squeeze said:
Hmm, maybe try the same test and add the MMP Ballistic sub base under the sabot. It claims it was designed for higher pressures.

Here's a link to the sub base for wanting to shoot warp speed.

http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb- ... -sub-base/

Thanks, I'll check them out. I still need to call Bob Parker. Been a busy day, the wife had a deer demolish her Equinox this morning.... right in town! Thankfully she wasn't hurt.

PM me your address and I'll send you some - just saw you were from Hubbard Lake, MI.

Latest posts

Back