.44 ca. Hornady pistol bullet in crush rib question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I "make" my own sabots with different weight and types .45 cal. Hornady pistol bullets (.451 and .452 diam.) in the .50 cal. black Harvester Crush Rib sabots for those two diameters of .45 cal. bullets. I mistakenly shot some .44 cal. Hornady pistol bullets in those same sabots rather than in the sabots specifically for .44 cal. bullets. Did I damage anything or was that no big deal? Shot them in my T/C Impact, and seemed ok at time, just noticed it later. Usually right on careful when muzzleloading. Hope this isn't too much of an asinine question. Thanks.

I doubt you did any damage to the gun. I think the worse thing would be poor accuracy from a poor fit of the sabot bullet combo.

No problem, mix and match and use whatever works. Ive used the green .44 size crush rib with .452 bullets before. Thats why they make different sizes. I have a buddy, that just goes out of his way to find the unusual way to use ...basically anything. Just because that has always been his way, he just has to buck the system and float upstream. In his mind, the manufacturers use guide would just be a 'suggestion' for a lazy mind, there has GOT to be another angle...even if its harder, at least its creative lol..True..you just have to know the guy..definitely one of a kind

It is sure easy to do. So many bullets, so many sabots. The worst you might have had happen was poor accuracy and easy loading. The sabot would have followed the bullet up the bore of the barrel and then exited off it very quickly.

I am sure there was no damage at all but I think you will find that is not your most accurate load.

Latest posts

Back