Squirrel Rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Broad Arrow

Reaction score
In the traditional world a 32 calibre flintlock or percussion rifle would make a great squirrel gun. What does everyone think about what would make a great squirrel gun in the inline world?

.22 muzzleloader. I think someone made them for a few years, yet it didn't catch on for some reason........ Maybe now that components are so hard to find, especially .22 ammunition, someone will work one up.

There was some .32 caliber inline rifles. I think the TC System 1 had a .32, .50 and a shotgun barrel. For squirrels I found the smoothbore loaded with shot as the best gun for the fun. You hit more often, and for some reason I hate shooting a rifle up in the air. It just makes me uncomfortable. I had a .62 smoothbore that was an excellent squirrel gun. TC makes a .56 smoothbore although it is not an inline. I now hunt with a traditional smoothbore 12 gauge. I can load it down and it makes a great squirrel and bunny gun.

If you have an inline, you can load them down and shoot squirrels. Even a .50 caliber loaded down will shoot squirrels. Just let them get on the ground before you shoot.

cayuga said:
There was some .32 caliber inline rifles. I think the TC System 1 had a .32, .50 and a shotgun barrel. For squirrels I found the smoothbore loaded with shot as the best gun for the fun. You hit more often, and for some reason I hate shooting a rifle up in the air. It just makes me uncomfortable. I had a .62 smoothbore that was an excellent squirrel gun. TC makes a .56 smoothbore although it is not an inline. I now hunt with a traditional smoothbore 12 gauge. I can load it down and it makes a great squirrel and bunny gun.

If you have an inline, you can load them down and shoot squirrels. Even a .50 caliber loaded down will shoot squirrels. Just let them get on the ground before you shoot.

I am the same way with a rifle, even a 22. The only shots I would take had a good bit of tree as the backstop and I would never take one that a hit was in doubt. I took a good number of squirrels with my T/C Hawken loaded with 50 grains of powder. The best ones were cooked fresh over a campfire with the wife and kids.

At one time Green Mountain built some 32 cal Knight Disc rifles. Limited run, and I'd guess by now they are all sold.

they built just over 250 of them. Pretty much impossible to find one for sale. Its either custom built or traditional for small bore. Heres a custom Knight mountaineer sleeved with a new barrel to .32 its build was done up on this and a few other forums. search mountaineer to .32 conversion

heres, the link http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/f...3&t=23917&hilit=mountaineer+to+.32+conversion

DSC00431_zpse6250689.jpg

It shoots great to abt 50 yds, But I think a lot of that is just good optics. I have a few traditional style that will prob do as well, But Im not so good with open sights. I have a cherokee with a peep sight and globe front that I can almost do as well with, to 50 yards. But it really shines with a maxi and a bit heavier load I can get good groups to 80- at least. It retains the 209 ignition, so it uses BH 209 well. it has a roundball twist of 1-36 but if I had to do it again, I might even go faster. but it was really built for roundball and squirreling. Its only real downfall is that its a bit heavy. But thats just the way it goes with any aftermarket retrofit to a smaller bore. The only target I have a photo of is one of the first after I got the gun, so this is just a preliminary testing and sighting in. It will definitely shoot as well as any .32. Its just a short range gun really, with a 41-46 grn ball, its really succeptible to wind drift and such, more like a .22 rimfire. but it can be loaded with a maxi a bit heavy and almost match a .22 mag round
Here is an early on photo of some 50 yard targets. (actually a far shot with a .32 and roundball) shot L-R top, L-R bottom, then middle row. there was some slight scope dialing, but now I cant remember exactly.. I think 5-7 shots per target. By now, Im pretty confident in squirrel head size groups to 50, the hard part is getting one to pause long enough to line up on :D

DSC00434_zps3bc513b5.jpg

Squeeze,

There you go again, Got me drooling all over again! :drool: :drool: :drool: I really wish someone would actually add on to their product line.

Do you know what the diameter of the bore is? Just curious if you could go Sabotless with some pistol bullets.

no, I never slugged this particular one, but almost every other .32 end up pretty close to .320, on the lands, and anywhere from .335-344 ish depending on the groove. I was thinking of going with a fast twist .36 next time (like 1-14 or so) and try that allen inline action in Colins post. it would keep the weight down and I could shoot .31 bullets in the MMP .36 sabot. Should be a good varminter. then try to find a close stock and file or build up to bed, then if it takes a lot of filler, have the stock refinished somehow. Maybe a synthetic with some fiberglass work..
InlineActionw262.jpg
it would have to be 11 cap ignition, but thats fine with me. works a charm in my whites and sidelocks

Squeeze said:
no, I never slugged this particular one, but almost every other .32 end up pretty close to .320, on the lands, and anywhere from .335-344 ish depending on the groove. I was thinking of going with a fast twist .36 next time (like 1-14 or so) and try that allen inline action in Colins post. it would keep the weight down and I could shoot .31 bullets in the MMP .36 sabot. Should be a good varminter. then try to find a close stock and file or build up to bed, then if it takes a lot of filler, have the stock refinished somehow. Maybe a synthetic with some fiberglass work..
InlineActionw262.jpg
it would have to be 11 cap ignition, but thats fine with me. works a charm in my whites and sidelocks
A Plunger type action would be just fine for a little .32. The only downside I can see to that action is it looks like it is really too short for a scope base. It could probably be done with one screw in the front but due to overall length it looks like you might only have room for the turret between the rings. Still an interesting looking action. It looks like it must have a screw on recoil lug that has the mounting bolt in it.

Shot it again today. I cant get groups at all from a maxi tried different loads, with/without a powder wad. seemed to spray all over, (After reading some logs, I probably should have gone much smaller charge in BH, last time I shot maxi was with Graf blackpowder, and 15 grn) so went back to roundball and tried heavier load for range, it opened up. It was a good 10mph wind pretty much at me. Went down to 20 grn BH powder win209 primer, .315 ball and a .010 patch and cloverleaf at 25, abt 1~1 1/2 at 50 I tried to 100, but it opened to abt 5", and I had to hold prob 4-5" high. It has a Leupold ultimate slam with the SBR reticle, It worked pretty well at the bottom dot at 100. The 25 and 50 I held right on. Its pretty typical of a .32.. pretty much a 40 yd gun for squirreling. Could maybe go 80 for coyote or maybe groundhog, But i mostly use it for cheap range fun with the occasional squirrel jaunt, usually while scouting deer :D

Back