Accura v2 Breakdown stuck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel hunter

Reaction score
I recently purchased a CVA Accura v2 and when I first got it in December of 2013, the breech breakdown lever worked just fine and I was able to just pull the lever behind the trigger guard and the breech broke down easily. I took it out of the safe a couple days ago to sight it in (April 15, 2014) and I can't get the lever to break down the breech. Stuck. What do I do? I thought it might be that the breech plug was backed out too much so I tried to thumb tighten it but it won't budge. Could it be that it was stored in a cool place (basement on an outside wall where it was about 50 degrees) and now it has warmed up 10-15 degrees?

This might not be a recommended procedure so someone should speak up of it's way out of line.

You could place the front of the gun on a solid table with the back half of the gun over the edge. While holding the lever in the open position, lift the gun by the back end and pivot the front end so that the weight and momentum of the gun lightly smacks the table. This may be enough force to open the gun. Don't do this too hard. If this opens the gun, maybe the breech is sticking too far out or maybe the firing pin bushing is out too far. Did you use a shim kit?

Hello,
Although I do not have any words of wisdom on the problem, I am watching this closely.
My new MR arrives today and I already have a shim kit with the assumption that I will
need it. I use RIO 209 primers (because I use BH209) and they have the thinnest base
flange of all the 209 primers ex: CCI 209's flange is .025 in. RIO 209's are .020 in.
so, I believe i'm going to need to close the head space
a thousands or 2 to stop blowback and improve accuracy. Obviously I will mic and
check my primers (so there is no crushing) but now this frozen gun issue is making me
nervous.

Hopefully there is going to be some expert advise on the cause and a solution.

PS I hope brut force isn't the only answer, I would think that detrimental to a precision fitted instrument

Umm..since the op hasn't responded since April, one might think there was no real problem, and/or no 'frozen' rifle.

The longest common primers are the W209, hence using W209 primer provides the best chance for a 'seal', without modification. Use of the RIO primer just might require one to shim the firing pin bushing out some, as you suspect. If i understand correctly what you mean, the thickness of the flange isn't too important; what determines the seal is the total length of the primer.

The RIO primer probably won't reliably ignite Blackhorn , unless you also have the 'made for Blackhorn breech plug' coming along with the rifle.

Myself, i see no reason to be nervous about having a small amount of 'crush' of the primers, after you install the shims. If there isn't a small amount of crush.. how will there be a seal against blow back? Another option is to use a 1mm thick o-ring between the primer and the breech plug.. This would be done without shimming the firing pin bushing, and may require the use of primers as short as the STS. Typically the STS are a few thousandths shorter, than other commonly available primers. Having never seen a RIO primer, i have no idea how long they are, or if they will fit with the o-ring in place.

At any rate, a small amount of 'crush', i.e. 0.002", does not create a dangerous condition; closing the action will not cause the primer to 'pop'. Rifle brands other than CVA, have been 'crushing' the longer primers for years, without mishap.

GAO said:
Hello,
Although I do not have any words of wisdom on the problem, I am watching this closely.
My new MR arrives today and I already have a shim kit with the assumption that I will
need it. I use RIO 209 primers (because I use BH209) and they have the thinnest base
flange of all the 209 primers ex: CCI 209's flange is .025 in. RIO 209's are .020 in.
so, I believe i'm going to need to close the head space
a thousands or 2 to stop blowback and improve accuracy. Obviously I will mic and
check my primers (so there is no crushing) but now this frozen gun issue is making me
nervous.

Hopefully there is going to be some expert advise on the cause and a solution.

PS I hope brut force isn't the only answer, I would think that detrimental to a precision fitted instrument

Make sure you adjust the firing pin bushing even to the breech face, Per CVA specifications. Don't try to crush the primer. If you adjust it to the breech face your gun should be clean. If not you could have other problems. If you adjust the firing pin bushing to the face of the breech and feel you still have problems call CVA. I adjusted my accura V2 even to the face of the breech and had .001 crush on the primer, she runs very clean. Good Luck

Thanks for the responses but the Accura MR ( that was a replacement rifle) delivered today was worse than the rifle they were replacing. Go look at my posts and pictures in 'a couple CVA Complaints' topic.

The worst part of it is this is their NEW and improved flagship product...

I can't justify trying for a third gun...

Latest posts

Back