LEHIGH BULLETS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK

Reaction score
I have been testing for Lehigh Defense for a few months as they are looking to get into the M/L market with their own segmenting bullets. This all began after I asked them a question about the capabilities of lighter bullets as well as rifle bullets. It started with this simple question, "Why couldn't I use these in a M/L?" These are their own design & NOT Bloodline bullets that they manufacture for Knight. I was interested in a true crossover bullet & I believe that I've found them.

I have tested their 40/140 & 45/170 handgun bullets for both low recoil loads to full power loads & the results have basically been the same. I know that some will scoff at these lightweight bullets, but they are primarily being used as a deer bullet & my hope is to show you that because of their design & function they may just kill a deer better than some of the heavier bullets.

I also have a few 458/305gr variations to try including SOCOM & Subsonic. I will be receiving some additional types including some "solid" designs soon.

For those that aren't familiar with Lehigh Defense, they make HIGH QUALITY bullets that are devastating on game. Some of them have a functioning range of 800 to 2000fps. (The velocity range was what really got me thing about what these bullets could do)The segmenting frontal area breaks off & travels in different directions though soft tissue (heart, lungs, etc) while the solid base keeps on going.

I will keep everyone posted on my results . If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks, Greg

Very cool! Keep us posted.

I will be updating as I go. Very excited about this venture. Lehigh has been great to deal with & really wants to get into this market.

Well if your in need of more testers I'm sure there is a bunch of us here that would be more than willing to help.

:mrgreen: Hint hint cough cough ME hint hint :wink:

03mossy said:
Well if your in need of more testers I'm sure there is a bunch of us here that would be more than willing to help.

I truly wish that I had enough to share with everyone!!

GregK said:
03mossy said:

not everyone just me.... just kinding. Looking forward to the reports.

03mossy said:
GregK said:
03mossy said:

not everyone just me.... just kinding. Looking forward to the reports.

:D :D OK......I'll keep that in mind :D :D

Here are a few pics. There will be more :)

These are a few that they I am testing

This is a 40 cal 140gr before & after firing thru 4 jugs of water at 100 yards from my Disc Elite 45 with 100gr BH209 & a Harvester EZ Load sabot. It was on the bench after it passed thru the 4th jug

The 40 cal base & two of the segment petals after the expansion test

40/140 bullet

40/140

45/170 pics. Shot from my Knight Mountaineer 50 cal, 100gr BH209 (by volume) Harvester EZ Load black sabot

Both bases

Wow interesting. Any idea the bc's?

Wow....thanx for the pics.... Im really interested in those 300 gr bullets..... Any ballpark prices? I wont hold you to it but was just looking to see round about prices...

dave19113 said:
Wow....thanx for the pics.... Im really interested in those 300 gr bullets..... Any ballpark prices? I wont hold you to it but was just looking to see round about prices...

http://www.lehighbullets.com/proddetail ... =458%2D200

These are very long bullets - they will shoot in a 1-28 twist but the need a tight sabot and very good powder load. Any slippage at all and they may not reach stabilization.

IMHO
It would be nice if they would consider a .50 full bore projectile that could be used to meet Colorado requirements.
The Thor bullet is about the only non-sabot, non-lead option, and there have been reports of inconsistent diameters and supplies with the Thors.

shguns said:
IMHO
It would be nice if they would consider a .50 full bore projectile that could be used to meet Colorado requirements.
The Thor bullet is about the only non-sabot, non-lead option, and there have been reports of inconsistent diameters and supplies with the Thors.

Lehigh Dave was working on that option some time back, but has been unable to get back to it. And now that he produces ML bullets under contract for Knight - Knight is in the drivers seat as to what bullets are offered.

Here is his early designs... for both a 50 cal. and a 45 cal.

sabotloader said:
dave19113 said:

http://www.lehighbullets.com/proddetail ... =458%2D200

These are very long bullets - they will shoot in a 1-28 twist but the need a tight sabot and very good powder load. Any slippage at all and they may not reach stabilization.

These definetly have my interest up.... They are a little steep in price for every day shooting but excellent once you get a load set up for hunting.

Do you have powder charge recomendations? and results velocity , group size.....

dave19113 said:

Dave, I can't tell you pricing off the top of my head for each bullet but of you go to Lehighdefense.com, you can look around at different bullets & check prices. I would love to see a full bore bullet but with the Knight contract it might be hard to do. Still......I want to see that happen.

I typically use 100 to 110 gr (by volume) for all of my bullets. The 40/140 shot very well at 100 yards with 100gr, a smooth blue Harvester sabot, out of my 1-30 Disc Elite. With the 305's I would push them with that same load, however the new sub sonic 300 will open & perform at much lower velocities.

Back