TC Impact

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Well heres my TC Impact that I found at the pawn shop in NC... I painted the stock just bc I thought it would be fun and outfitted it with a Redfield Revolution 2-7 and weaver grand slam rings

I think it is the same barrel as on my TC encore 209x50 so In hoping to get the same results with BH209 90gr .430 XTP 300 gr with Fed shotgun primers

Just had a chance to get out to the range yesterday.

I finally was able to get it dialed in after far too many shots.... but I think I have it settled on 95gr of BH 209 Fed SG primers shooting a .430 XTP 300 gr with a Harvester green crush rib sabot.

I was able to get a 3 shot group measuring .70 CTC.

The problem, I think I had was I started with 777 powder that I was trying to go through and then, after a mild cleaning went to 209.....

I shot about 40 shots all together. After my 3 shot group it just opened up.... I think I can attribute this to not letting the barrel cool....

Next week Ill shoot it fresh and see what comes about.... I also ground down the forend to free float the barrel....

Ill post more pics next time out.... I will also be trying out the Harvester lead 280 gr.

Sounds like some good shooting and a very fun day on the range.

d.winsor said:
What range did you shoot the TC Impact at?

Dialed in at 50 yds then 100 yd groups is what I set up for my accuracy...

I normally go for 1 inch or better.... with the XTP 300 gr .430 and harvester geen sabots with bh209 I can normally achieve it pretty easily...

Has anyone had issues with vertical stringing with the Impact?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

ENCORE50A said:
Try letting your barrel cool down more....... Also some T/C rifles are known to need fouling before shooting groups.

As in more than just a primer foul? Light powder charge,no projectile.

dave19113 said:
ENCORE50A said:
Try letting your barrel cool down more....... Also some T/C rifles are known to need fouling before shooting groups.

As in more than just a primer foul? Light powder charge,no projectile.

SHOOTING BH209......Here's an example target that I shot just for this specific question. Not all rifles require complete fouling, however EVERY rifle I've owned required at least one complete round, then it would hit my zero mark. This Pro Hunter, no matter what I do or what I try, ALWAYS shoots like this photo. I've tried everything known and without fail, this T/C always does this. I also know many other T/C owners who's rifles react the same. Some shooters are lucky and all they have to do it to pop a couple primers. A couple days before the season starts, I load and shoot two rounds at the backstop, then load it for hunting.

Because I've never needed cooling rods shooting here at home, I wait between 10 to 20 minutes between shots when its hot out to let the barrel cool. I just find something to do between loading.

Much thanxs....

Ill try that next week when I go out and see how it goes

Re: TC Impact Update

Well finally got the Impact dialed in. It defiantly does not care for heavy bullets in .430 caliber or any heavy bullets for that matter.

Ordered up some 240gr XTP Magnum 45 cal bullets with black harvester crush rib sabots under 85 grs of bh 209 powder and federal shotgun primers to ignite.

Put a nice 3 shot group right at an inch @ 100yds. I did notice, compared to my TC encore, that the Impact is very temperamental to heat.

My grouping I accept for hunting applications are two shot group with only reloading time in-between. The Impact gets it done, but when I shoot a 3rd it always shoot about 1in high over the regular group. Let it cool down for 5 minutes and its back to business.

Does anyone have any terminal ballistics experience with the 240 gr magnums?

I have shot the 240 gr xtp in the past and they shot well out of a knight disc rifle and a couple of deer that were taken with them with no problems. I can usually pickup xtp bullets at Bass Pro as cheap as the tc cheapshots, which means I can shoot practice and hunting with the same bullets at a reasonable price. No problems with deer if placed in the boiler room.

Latest posts

Back