Scorpion PT Gold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone shooting them? If so what kind of repeatable accuracy are you getting and from what rifle? How do they react on game, as far as consistent expansion?

I tried a few samples using the XMark trigger and now that I have the Timney, I thought I'd try them again. I ordered 100 300gr bullets this morning, along with 200 H5045 LB sabots. I plan on picking up 100 Barnes 290gr flat base T-EZ bullets and try them for long range, thus the additional 100 sabots.

You will find them to be very accurate. TC Omega, Knight Disc Extreme.

I've shot 3 deer with the 300s. All pass throughs. I did capture a 200 Scorpion in a jug test and it mushroomed perfectly. I'll try to find the link to the post I did several years back. I'm told they are the same bullet construction without the tip.

You will like them. The guys at Harvester are great to work with as well.

Below is the link: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... mance.html

I bought 100 of them and will be getting out Friday to group them, If the H5045 LB loads too easy or doesn't group well try the H25045SRR. I tried pushing a Bullet and H15045BR thru my gun and it almost fell thru. I tried the H25045SRR and the loading pressure feels just about right. I googled the 300 pt gold and every site recommended not trying the H15045BR (Which comes with the bullets in a package of 12 I think) because they would be too loose. They recommended the Red H25045S$$ sabot for the way it loads. Yes it is a smokeless sabot. The sites said they got great groups using that combination. Every thing I have read says that they expand great at short or long range. They also said to start with 110 or 120 grain BH 209. Also that the bullet is extremely flat shooting. It sounds like my perfect bullet, I will find out this Friday. Good Luck.

LarryBud said:
You will find them to be very accurate. TC Omega, Knight Disc Extreme.

I've shot 3 deer with the 300s. All pass throughs. I did capture a 200 Scorpion in a jug test and it mushroomed perfectly. I'll try to find the link to the post I did several years back. I'm told they are the same bullet construction without the tip.

You will like them. The guys at Harvester are great to work with as well.

Below is the link: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... mance.html

Can't open that link for some reason ?

d.winsor............... thanks for the additional information. However I'll be starting with 143grs volume (100grs weight) of BH209 through the Ultimate. I'll keep in mind the other sabots you mentioned. The H5054 LB is the sabot that Ultimate recommends and they use with the SST bullets (.452") I know the PT's are .451" and rather it'll be to loose will have to be determined. It was that sample 12 pack that I had before and shot them with the X-Mark.

260g Scorpion PT Gold

About 3 year ago the following set was used to capture the 260g version.

260a.jpg

The front two jugs were tossed a long long way. The rifle was about 14 yard away, and was loaded with 105g of Blackhorn. Most of the bullet was found in the bottom of the fifth jug.. er the largest remaining piece. The fifth jug had a hole, where the bullet entered, and an exit wound. It seems the bullet hit the back of the jug hard enough to poke a hole, but didn't exit.

260d.jpg

P4252852.JPG

P4252854.JPG

P4252853.JPG

Pieces of the bullet were found in the fourth jug. The sum weight of the 3 major pieces was 180.5g. The piece in the fifth jug, the largest piece, weighed 144g.

P4252862.JPG

The VIDEO of the capture. The muzzle velocity of the bullet when shot at them jugs was about 1875 fps. The bullet more or less kinda went to pieces at that low speed generated by 105g Blackhorn. It might be fun to push the bullet with 143g, and see what it did, but it doesn't seem stout enough to me.

Well, i never ever did try either of the PT on a live critter.

I shoot the 300s with 110 grain by volume of Blackhorn 209
I got a Doe this past fall at about 60 yards and got a complete pass through
I shot about 3" groups at 100 yds

I have been using the 300 grain PT Golds out of my Knight Long Range Hunter. I use 100 grains of BH209 and am getting 2" groups at 100 yards, often times 1 1/2" groups. They are a flat shooting bullet. I also use the black crushed rib sabot. I have not taken a deer with one yet...just starting using them last year. I am impressed with them so far.

I use the 260gr for practice instead of my Parker 275s in the ULA. Im fairly sure they would do as well in the field.

I shot a dozen rounds at the club range a couple days back at 300yds. I used the H5045 LB sabot, which is the sabot used for the 300gr SST ("Whitetail Medicine"), which will withstand the pressures of 143grs V BH. I wasn't very happy with my results, as they just wouldn't group tight enough. The bullet and sabot loaded with no noticeable force difference between the .452" SST and the .451" PT. I did not use the gage to identify any difference though. I then stapled up a target at 100yds and wasn't happy with the results.

Once back at the house, I lowered the charge of BH down 5grs (136grs V) for a couple rounds and shot those on my range. Wasn't happy with those either. I may call Harvester next week for a tighter sabot...........

I only shot them at 100 yards, I had the same experience. Out of my Accura V2 the best I could do was 1 1/2 inch groups. I used the red smokeless sabot and the MMP 50/45 sabot. The red sabot was extremely hard to load after the first shot. It would not do for a hunting load in my gun. The MMP did OK. I used 100 grains by volume of BH 209, and a ww 209 primer. Have to add I tried them with up to 120 grains of powder. I am going to try them again with the mmp sabot in my Pro hunter It will shoot just about anything I throw down it.

Well I wanted to give them a try and still will, but I'll look for a different HP sabot. I have some short black that came with the BE's I may try.

SCHUNTER said:
The Harvester red crush rib will tighten up the fit.

I think the H5045 LB was also to long, rather that made a difference or not. Email from Allen and he's sending a couple different samples.

Two samples from Harvester shot today. Very bad............. I followed up shooting two SST with the H5045LB and had them touching at 200yds. Called Harvester again, leaving a VME to Allen.....

Latest posts

Back