Dangerous game projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dangerous game projectiles

Believe me I want Barnes but they don't ship to australia. It's not through choice I'm limited

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a water buffalo in Australia for anyone who doesn't know them
yne7umyt.jpg

WoW, How would you haul something like that out, It must take a village to eat it.

You said you were going with hornady but you didn't say what bullet or charge you were going to use.

Funny you should say that, most places you hunt them is aboriginal land and part of the deal is the meat goes to the tribes.

Oh no sorry, I meant of those brands hornady is the only one I know I can definitely get in Australia. Most beans won't ship here. I will look into them all though.

rwbaker said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTeEmNUkjw Get u pumped up before the hunt . :wink:

It does pump me but at the same time makes me very angry! I know this video.
It is illegal to hunt anything in Australia with a handgun, straight to jail card for us.

BUT

there is a special permit allowing for hunting with a handgun in one state (the Northern Territory). The catch is Australian residents can't apply for it, only iternational hunters! What kind of joke is that!

I find Australians are idiots for the most part and over gun themselves at any time. I've literally heard everything from "you can't take a fallow with anything less than a 300wm" to "you're severely undergunned hunting buffalo with anything under a 416rigby. Aussie hunters use big calibers to excuse bad shooting in my experience. And the little bit of guiding I've done has highlighted that.

So I'm glad to see a video that can dispel this, all you need is a well placed shot.

I will say one of the buff in that vid was a bloody biggun! Wouldn't mind something like that!!!! Thanks for posting up

JPHunting there are people here that would kill to have the hunting experiences that you are able to have. Hornady has some good bullets, if that is all you can get, burn them up. With that Hornady SST/ML 250 grain, I can put 3 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards, and I have been shooting a lot of them lately, hornady is the only one I can do that with. It might be hard to get some things and it might take a long time to get things, buy I would consider myself lucky to have the experiences that you have. Keep doing what you are doing, and don't forget about us poor boys. Be sure to post your experiences and good luck.

As long as it all works out I'll be very happy to have that opportunity.
Haha I'm one of you poor boys too! I'm just a typical 23 year old and there's no way I'd ever be able to pay for a guided buff hunt, just lucky to have got on to this bloke. Fingers crossed!

Hornady Just sent me another message, I'll pass it on to you:

Thank you for contacting us. We offer a 300gr SST offering that may be considered for this type of application. For a full bore projectile, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the weapon for additional suggestions. I would also attempt to contact hunting guides in the area to see what has proven to be the most effective on past hunts with this type of weapon. Thank you

There is no way i would ever use the SST bullet on them bruiser buffalo. If you can get Harvester sabot, and/or bullet, the hardcast 400g would be a very good choice. SST are, in my opinion, not up to the task.

Hornady makes dangerous games bullets in 458 but they may be heavier than you or the ML prefers. Hardcasts would be my choice though.

300 grain sst sounds kind of light to me too, I would think you would have to get a bullet that will have some expansion at muzzleloader velocities I don't know what that would be with a 150 grain charge. I would think the harvester 400 grain hardcast and the T/C dangerous game bullet would have some expansion as they were designed for muzzleloaders. Harvester did say they have taken water buffalo with the hardcast bullet. But the discussion is mute, if you can't get either. Evidently harvester doesn't have any 400 grain bullets that would fit the bill for expansion, and performance under muzzleloader conditions.

Hard cast bullets don't expand. Here is a kinda explanation of what hard cast bullets do as described by Screwbolts.

"We all walk different roads through life, and that is OK. On some roads in life they feel that bullet expansion is absolutely necessary. And that is OK. These trekkers can never, and will never understand how a Hard Boolit with a good meplat can possibly create a predictable wound channel, that is effective at letting blood out and air in. And this is OK. We walk different roads. I know, it is OK.

Others walk a different road with hard boolitz and properly sized Meplats. They know that it doesn't have to be driven very fast or much above the speed of sound to be very effective, not overly destructive but capable of producing a good wound channel with out destroying the entire area. And that is OK. These trekkers understand that too much speed is actual detrimental to results. (Too much tissue damage and slowed flow of blood, because of the great clotting ability of the cells nucleus, if it's membrane is broken in the destruction) They realize that there is a formula for accurately predicting the wound channel size, based on Meplat size and Speed of projectile. It can be referred to as tissue spray area, DV. And that is OK. We simply travel different roads. And that is OK."

Screwbolts sent me some 338g boolitz to try back in April. They were still not fully hardened when i shot them, but one can see they don't expand; what they do is penetrate. When i shot these bullets, i shot them in a Harvester sabot. It was quite fun to shoot them, because they are very accurate. Here is the 338g hard cast boolitz thread posted in April.

So..if i understand correctly, Harvester sabot/bullet cannot be mailed to Australia?

This is a .401 260gr Miester hardcast 18bhn after going through media (including two dry phone books) and into a tree behind the media. These penetrate better than anything i ever shot into this media.

Meister260grRNFP2.jpg

220gr HC left and 260gr HC right
P1010338.jpg

Ive got a pic of the media but i cant find it atm. Ive got a video of it being shot with a Rem 50-385gr CLHP.

The 350 FPB has a bigger center section and holds together better.

Latest posts

Back