Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Had a person I know call me about primers and an experience he had. He has his own range and shoots fairly often, a Traditions UL I believe.

He weighs his propellant, which happens to be BH209.

He shoots the Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets

Primers, normally CCI209M...........

His question to me was, "How come the CCI209M shoots 4" higher than when using Federal 209A's?"

Seems he ran out of the CCI209M's and had to purchase Federal 209A's. The Federal's shot 4" lower than the CCI's. He told me they'd still group, but were low. He was then able to pick up a case of CCI209M's and brought his group right back up.............

ENCORE50A said:
Had a person I know call me about primers and an experience he had. He has his own range and shoots fairly often, a Traditions UL I believe.

He weighs his propellant, which happens to be BH209.

He shoots the Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets

Primers, normally CCI209M...........

His question to me was, "How come the CCI209M shoots 4" higher than when using Federal 209A's?"

Seems he ran out of the CCI209M's and had to purchase Federal 209A's. The Federal's shot 4" lower than the CCI's. He told me they'd still group, but were low. He was then able to pick up a case of CCI209M's and brought his group right back up.............

I have not found that to be the results that I get. This is a random testing target I shot awhile back... the goal was velocities so the target is only a 50 yard target... Accuracy was not rime importance - but it did alright

The only thing I could imagine was that the barrel harmonics changed somehow between the two primers..

A few years back I was using Remingtom primers and purchased 209 PSTSB vs 209 PSTS ( still not sure of the difference ) but it moved POI an inch at 75 yards. Not sure why but primers make a difference.

Both the CCIms and the Fed209s are thought to be the hotter of the 209s but I have used both interchangeably without any real difference in my rifles.

Perhaps his breech plug is marginal with the Federals and reaches normal efficiency with the CCIm.He may not have a BH capable BP.

Lee 9 said:
Perhaps his breech plug is marginal with the Federals and reaches normal efficiency with the CCIm.He may not have a BH capable BP.

Excellent post Lee and probably the most logical - if your BP can not breathe correctly - things change... The heat and gas that Mag primers produce can overcome some BP's and if the BP is correct you do not need a Mag primer in the first place for BH.

Latest posts

Back