FINALLY!!! Got to shoot the new ULite WE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
And I really had a stroke of luck - should happen to me more often.

This morning it was some what cooler than it has been in several days, so the plan was to go to the farm and get some shooting in. I waited very patiently till 9:00 hoping to give everyone at the farm time to get up and be moving around, even though the temperature was climbing.

Got to the farm and was surprised the to find the wheat field so dang tall and no longer GREEN... Not wanting to take a chance on a fire - turned around and headed for the Rock Pit... I hate shooting a the Pit this time of year because it will be full of trash and more broken glass.

Made it to the pit but temp was now 76* - but what-the-heck I am here... Got everything set up for shooting and loaded my first round. I had attempted to bore sighted the rifle right after I got it. I installed a set of new Warne weaver mounts, a new Williams ramp, fiber optic, and fire-sight hood on the rifle. Then I placed the NECG peep on the Warne mount - the sight had been sighted in on another ULite with the same setup so I figured it would be close on the new setup - but I did not know how CLOSE?

This is where my luck for the day changed... I set my target at 75 yards - loaded the rifle and took on the target. 6 o'clock hold on the large 1/2 moon target - It really is 'blaze orange' but the scanner doesn't see it that way. Anyway took my first shot and OMG! it was good enough for me to decide I needed to shoot something more fun than paper...

Well guess what another stroke of good luck... right there perched on the rock wall was a clay pigeon. It is a 100 yards to the rock wall so I could not resist the urge - decided to take the bird on. I asked a guy that was in the pit shooting also to watch the bird and see if he could tell if I hit the bird, or hit close enough to scare it of the perch or even a complete miss - which is really what I expected....

Loaded up and took the shot and the guy assured me that I hit the bird - BINGO - more good luck. Well that go me even more pumped up so I got in the back seat of the truck to get a supply of birds for the wall.... but bad luck now... I just bought a new truck and I had not loaded the box of birds !!!!

Well so any way - I decided to walk down to the end of the pit and see if I could find any other unbroken birds or at least big parts of broken birds. I found two complete birds with a 22 hole through them and 6 other bird parts that would make good targets. Placed them on the wall and went back to work - it was a great morning...

This is the new rifle with - iron sight setup - legal for Idaho...

Anyway think I have another really good shooter...

I very nice rifle. And at that weight a person could carry that around all day without getting lead arms.

cayuga said:
I very nice rifle. And at that weight a person could carry that around all day without getting lead arms.

that is one of the reason's this really old guy likes it...

Great shooting! Every time you show that rifle I need a bib! :drool: :drool: :drool:

sqezer said:
Great looking setup, Mike what kind of pep sight you have there. :yeah:

It is a NECG Weaver style mounted on Warne Weaver Scope base.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun ... Sights.asp

Weaver-Peep.jpg

Do you ever shoot in low light conditions or shadows? That was the only objection I had to peep sights. And where I hunt, back in the alder and balsam thickets, it would shock you how dark it can get when over cast. Twice I had to pass on shots only because, while I could see them with my eyes, I could not get a "clear sight picture" through the peep. I know people say, take the aperture out of the peep. My luck I would loose it and also I don't practice that way.

You know I don't get to shoot as much since my company got bought out in 2012. I joined a club but getting time away from the family is tough. Good shooting sabotloader and you did get lucky with that setup.

Latest posts

Back