Another silly question - can I use these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry another stupid question. I used to reload for my old mans 45-70 but last year he sold it. I forgot about the projectiles until I found them at the back of te ammo cabinet tonight.
My question is, can I run these through my muzzy? If so what sabots would I need to get?

Also, would these scrape through if I'm hunting buff next year? Just to save worry about buying/casting some others? Fine if not, just thought it was worth an ask.
amederys.jpg

Cheers in advance

Jack

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're interloks too sorry

I don't see why you could not hunt with those. I've shot them out of my .52 Knight with good accuracy but never at a game animal.

Take a look at the Hornady site for applications. I'm sure hunting will be listed.

Expansion starts at 1700 FPS, Stay at that or above and the bullet will expand.

Read this: Reject the HSUS petition that
threatens hunting on public lands!

Call Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and tell her to reject the HSUS petition that threatens hunting on public lands! Call 202-208-3181 and email our pre-written letter to voice your objection.
The future of hunting is under attack! Hornady® Manufacturing urges firearms owners, hunters and sportsmen to call Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and demand she reject a petition filed by the HSUS that seeks to ban hunting with traditional ammunition on public lands.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), anti-hunting groups, and five individual sportsmen have teamed up to file a petition with the Interior Department demanding rules that ban hunting with traditional ammunition on public lands – more than 160 million acres of federal lands managed by the National Park Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. That’s one-fifth of the total land area in the United States.
Weighing in at a hefty 50 pages, this petition is rife with emotional statements based on fuzzy science, and fails to make the case that using traditional ammunition threatens wildlife or humans in such a way as to justify eliminating it altogether. It claims prohibiting lead ammunition should be an easy accomplishment since non-lead alternatives are available. But this is nothing more than a back-door way to ban hunting altogether, by making the sport of hunting in America cost prohibitive. Once the rules change with regard to traditional ammunition on public land, it opens the floodgates for over-reaching restrictions on hunting as a whole.
Tell Interior Secretary Sally Jewell how this petition falls short on reason and logic:
It lacks sound science to support banning the traditional hunting ammunition used by hunters for centuries.
It is another attempt by the HSUS to ban hunting altogether.
The adverse impact of traditional ammunition upon wildlife has not been substantiated to the point of necessitating such a drastic move.
There is no evidence that consuming game taken with traditional ammunition poses a human health risk to hunters and their families.
Approving this ban would reduce the 11% excise taxes currently raised from the sale of traditional ammunition, which is used to support wildlife conservation. A ban of traditional ammunition would harm the very animals HSUS claims to protect.
CONTACT THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR TODAY!
Here is a list of the groups filing this petition:
Humane Society of the United States
Fund for Animals
Defenders of Wildlife
Natural Resources Defense Council
Wildlife Conservation Society
International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
South Florida Wildlife Center
Chocolay Raptor Center
Upper Peninsula Environmental Coalition
Northwood Alliance
National Wolfwatcher Coalition
Five individual sportsmen, including Judd Hanna, former California Fish and Game commissioner
The truth has been clearly revealed. HSUS and its ilk want to ban hunting altogether. Don’t let them succeed. Call your officials today:
Dept. of Interior Office of Communications: 202-208-6416
Dept. of Interior Executive Office: 202-208-3181
Interior Secretary Sally Jewell at 202-208-3181 or
submit a letter and demand the rejection of the HSUS petition.
JOIN OUR LETTER-WRITING CAMPAIGN

A ton of 45/70 load data is very similar to a mid to upper range ML 300gr load data in fps. 1700fps MV is a cake walk for a modern inline.

Those bullets should work just fine with the sabots mentioned.

Thanks for the help guys.
Having said this though, does that mean that pretty well any
.458 cal projectile can be made to fit in my muzzleloader with a proper sabot? If so it could fix the issue of me not being able to get my Barnes. I could try a Barnes 300gn tsx theoretically in .458 cal then?

MMP carries a sabot made especially for the .458

Its an orange 50x458 sabot. The other one that sometimes works is the Harvester Black Crushrib for .452s. Its loose enough that it works in some bore with a .458 bullet.

You might also try the red 3 petal sabot that comes with the SSTs. Its fairly small OD when using the .452 SST and may also work with a .458. The other option is to run a .458 through 2 sizing dies. Run it through a .454 sizing die and then through a .452 or .451 sizing die. Ive done it and it works fine.

I shot those same bullets out of my Black Diamond using Knight/MMP orange sabots. I pushed them with 110 grains of pyrodex. While accurate out to 100 yards, I never tired them further. Also I never took game with them so I can not give you a report on their hunting hits. But they were a nice bullet to load and shoot. I also shoot a 423 grain all lead bullet out of the same sabots that I cast. My friend used them on a deer and it really put that little buck down in a hurry.

That my bullet of choice.I also have a .45-70 that I reload for with that same bullet.I use that in my .50 cal. muzzy's with a harvester black crushrib sabot.They work great.

Oh man this is opening up a whole new suite of options for me. The frustrating thing as I've said many times is not being able to get muzzy pills, having an option to get any .45 cal projectile to work should fix half my problems!

JP

I shoot 458's almost exclusively in my 50's. Think of this way do you want to shoot factory bullets designed for pistols or would you rather shoot a real rifle bullet. The 458 is a 45-70 bullet - designed for a hard driving rifle.

Look at this 458x305 gr. ...

I call it the Lehigh Buffalo Bullet.... it is real popular with 45-70 shooters. I load this into a MMP sabot and shoot it in my Knights - great elk bullet...

It is a little to much bullet for a Whitetail - but it really worked well

Thank you sabot loader, that's a mean looking projectile. My main species are red deer and fallow, which are basically the same size as elk and wt respectively. How far did that buck go? He's a beauty too, that's what I hope to take one day, a pretty, neat rack. Great stuff.

JPHunting said:
Thank you sabot loader, that's a mean looking projectile. My main species are red deer and fallow, which are basically the same size as elk and wt respectively. How far did that buck go? He's a beauty too, that's what I hope to take one day, a pretty, neat rack. Great stuff.

Maybe twenty feet... and drop - I was able to track it really easy :D

This one went about one leap down hill

She turned 180* and fell -although she was shot with a 458x300 ML Lehigh/Bloodline

Great stuff, man she looks tasty! Determined to taste elk one day.

Before anyone replied to me here, I emailed a bloke Randy Wakeman who writes for ChuckHawks and asked about using Barnes .458 cal stuff in my inline. Without giving much explanation he said it was a flat out no to using them.
Can anyone think why?

JPHunting said:
Before anyone replied to me here, I emailed a bloke Randy Wakeman who writes for ChuckHawks and asked about using Barnes .458 cal stuff in my inline. Without giving much explanation he said it was a flat out no to using them.
Can anyone think why?

The main reason is because he is a twit :D

The other reason is that he is a huge Barnes Original 300gr 458 Spitzer fan and those are tough bullets. You need a very highend load or a non smoker for enough fps for reliable expansion. The Barnes 458 250gr will expand just fine at most ML speeds

I have no doubt the Barnes 300gr 458 SOCOM expands at ML speeds. The 458 SOCOM can only achieve about 1900fps+ MV with a 300gr and the bullet is made just for it.

This is from my 54-120 brush gun with just a 20" barrel.
SOCOMInOut.jpg

Latest posts

Back