Traditions tracker 209 cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jew1028

Reaction score
I just got a traditions tracker 209 from my grandpa that passed away and couldn't find anything about taking it apart to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this is the right rifle, it is the only manual for an inline rifle that traditions has. It is called "Inline Manual" hope this helps: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data ... 674570.pdf

One other thing when you get your breech plug out, you will probably need some type of wrench or socket, I am not sure about traditions. clean the threads on the breech plug and the threads in the barrel. As you are reassembling the gun after cleaning, lightly oil the threads of the breech plug and in the barrel. Then take some white teflon tape and wrap the breech plug twice (More if too loose when installing the BP, less if too tight installing BP), Install the breech plug in gun. If you ever have to unload your gun because it would not fire, or if after hunting you didn't shoot it, you can remove the breech plug and dump the powder out, then use a range rod to push out the bullet. Your clean up will be fast and easy as you will not have powder in the grease of the barrel threads, which will require more effort to clean.

Also I can't advise you on using BH 209, if you intend to use BH 209 go here and send Western Powders an e-mail and ask if your gun is ok to use BH 209: http://www.blackhorn209.com/contact-us/

That manual should get u close if not right on. I have a BuckHunter which is a similar plunger rifle. Research the net and ask questions here. If it's like my BuckHunter, it should shoot well.

First muzzleloader?

BlackHorn 209 is not recommended in our type of rifles. The plunger can bounce back after the shot and that leaves the 209 primer exposed which can fly back at u, I know, because I have done it.

If your first muzzy, I would recommend Pyrodex loose powder. Shoots great from these rifles and is relatively cheap.

Got one, rather my daughter confiscated it, but its a fine little rifle. The Tracker has a lugged breech plug with a large raised bar across its face. Imho its the best design for the purpose. The large slot engages the breechplug and the other end of the tool has a cut out for removing/installing the nipple. They are available from Traditions as the Tracker is still in production. I converted mine to use caps instead of 209's and they work perfectly. Its an accurate rifle too. Sub 3 inch 100 yard groups are as common as crooked politicians. As far as BH209, don't bother. Its been said often enough experience and the manufacturer specifically state not to use BH209 in striker fired inlines. You either won't get ignition or you'll be picking parts of primers out of yourself.There are those who claim success, but don't do it. If you pull charges of loose powder, a way to keep powder out of your breech threads is to ram a wad of cloth down the barrel after you pull the ball and dump powder. This will push the leftover powder in to the plug and trap it there, keeping it out of the threads. Good luck and enjoy your rifle!

Welcome to the forum. If this is the rifle I am thinking of, when you unscrew that locking lug on the back of the receiver, remember.. that spring is under tension and will fly out if your not careful. Also when you try and get the striker out, sometimes pulling back on the trigger at the same time you pull will help it go in and out.

I used to have a CVA Staghorn much like your rifle. It was a great shooting rifle.

Will any 209 primers work in this rifle? I use to shoot muzzleloaders when I was a teen with my grandpa but I never payed attention to all the loading stuff.

Will any 209 primers work in this rifle? I use to shoot muzzleloaders when I was a teen with my grandpa but I never payed attention to all the loading stuff.

Latest posts

Back