School Me on the Knight UL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHardWay

Reaction score
So I'm considering purchasing one of the Knight Ultra Lite rifles. For the last week I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to contact Knight to ask a few questions. I figured I'd ask here and maybe someone could chime in.
They have the Western Ready ML and then also the plain version. On the the Western model, it says that the ignition system is 'western', whereas on the plain model, there is an option for Full Plastic Jacket or Bare 209.
I'm wondering what the 'western' ignition system actually is. It's self-explanatory what the Full Plastic Jacket vs. Bare 209 is, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of each???

TheHardWay said:
So I'm considering purchasing one of the Knight Ultra Lite rifles. For the last week I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to contact Knight to ask a few questions. I figured I'd ask here and maybe someone could chime in.
They have the Western Ready ML and then also the plain version. On the the Western model, it says that the ignition system is 'western',

The Western Edition ULite is for states that require 'cap' ignition. So the rifle comes with a different bolt face and the ability to shoot either #11 or Musket caps.

whereas on the plain model, there is an option for Full Plastic Jacket or Bare 209.
I'm wondering what the 'western' ignition system actually is. It's self-explanatory what the Full Plastic Jacket vs. Bare 209 is, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of each???

Still today many people like the FPJ system, using Red Plastic Jackets and a 209 primer for ignition. The FPJ makes the breech area completely water proof and for some it is easier to load the rifle with the FPJ.

The NFPJ, or bare primer, rifle is my choice because it can me made nearly water proof and the breech area can be clean. Once you get the hang of loading the bare primers it is really not that difficult or time consuming.

Hope some of this information helps....

sabotloader said:
TheHardWay said:
They have the Western Ready ML and then also the plain version. On the the Western model, it says that the ignition system is 'western',

The Western Edition ULite is for states that require 'cap' ignition. So the rifle comes with a different bolt face and the ability to shoot either #11 or Musket caps.

whereas on the plain model, there is an option for Full Plastic Jacket or Bare 209.

Still today many people like the FPJ system, using Red Plastic Jackets and a 209 primer for ignition. The FPJ makes the breech area completely water proof and for some it is easier to load the rifle with the FPJ.

The NFPJ, or bare primer, rifle is my choice because it can me made nearly water proof and the breech area can be clean. Once you get the hang of loading the bare primers it is really not that difficult or time consuming.

Thanks, that clears it up a little. So from what I gather from the Knight website is that Western Edition comes with both the 209 FPJ and #11 ignitions systems and you can swap out the plugs, nipples, etc. for your desired ignition system?

My Austin & Halleck uses what I'd call the bare primer system, so I am pretty used to it and I don't think it'd be a hassle for me.

So now my quandary is this. Do I go with a Western rifle since I have to have open sights here in Colorado, and be stuck with the FPJ, or do I get the plain rifle so I can get the bare primer and then try to find a gunsmith to drill and tap the barrel to install open sights? From what I understand, the plain rifle is drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, but not for open sights, which does't do me any good for my state.

[quoted

So now my quandary is this. Do I go with a Western rifle since I have to have open sights here in Colorado, and be stuck with the FPJ, or do I get the plain rifle so I can get the bare primer and then try to find a gunsmith to drill and tap the barrel to install open sights? From what I understand, the plain rifle is drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, but not for open sights, which does't do me any good for my state.[/quote]

I'll just throw out a couple of options for CO regs.

If an easy carry gun is your objective, consider a Knight MK 85. It is a plunger gun but a very, very accurate and reliable version.

If you like the Disc profile, consider a Disc Extreme. Heavier than the UL but comes with Williams sights.

I have a MK with Williams peep sights and a covered front sight I'd sell right if interested.

TheHardWay said:
sabotloader said:
TheHardWay said:

Thanks, that clears it up a little. So from what I gather from the Knight website is that Western Edition comes with both the 209 FPJ and #11 ignitions systems and you can swap out the plugs, nipples, etc. for your desired ignition system?

No that is not quite right...
1. you can order a Ultra-Lite Western Edition that comes with cap ignition and front and rear sights on the barrel
2. you can order a Ultra-Lite with FPJ ignition and no sights on the barrel
3. you can order a Ultra-Lite with NFPJ and know sights.

You also can order the rifle of your choice and then order the parts you need to convert it to different ignition choices. If you order a FPJ or NFPJ the barrel will come clean - no sights and not drilled or tapped for sights.

My Austin & Halleck uses what I'd call the bare primer system, so I am pretty used to it and I don't think it'd be a hassle for me.

The Knight system is more like a true bolt and your Austin Halleck while it has a bolt is not a true bolt in that the firing pin is still like a plunger rifle and can be blown back to a re-cock position. The Knight should be a lot cleaner in the breech also...

So now my quandary is this. Do I go with a Western rifle since I have to have open sights here in Colorado,

You will need to order the Ultra-Lite Western Edition with Percussion Ignition and then order a bolt handle & housing and a Mountaineer NFPJ breech plug to convert your Western from Percussion to 209 ignition. If you can contact Knight you might be able to order what you want but ordering from Knight is way to expensive. Order the rifle from a vendor and the money you save you might be able to pay for the conversion parts you need.

and be stuck with the FPJ, or do I get the plain rifle so I can get the bare primer and then try to find a gunsmith to drill and tap the barrel to install open sights? From what I understand, the plain rifle is drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, but not for open sights, which does't do me any good for my state.

Correct - so my suggestion is to purchase the Western Edition and then order the conversion parts you need. A Breech Plug and a Bolt Housing - should be in the neighborhood of $90.

Knight ULite - Western Edition

Knight Ulite - Western Edition -> converted to NFPJ and scope installed

Hope some of this makes sense....

mike

Alright, now I think I think I understand. Any suggestions on where to buy one besides Knight? Nobody around here has them. I can't seem to find the any tan western editions on the web. Any chance you are looking to sell yours? :poke:

TheHardWay said:
Alright, now I think I think I understand. Any suggestions on where to buy one besides Knight? Nobody around here has them. I can't seem to find the any tan western editions on the web. Any chance you are looking to sell yours? :poke:

Not a chance - that I would sell mine...

You can get them from Sportsman Whse... Bob's Sporting Goods, Longview WA,

Might check with these guys also... http://www.edsgunshop.com/

I would start with Bob's and see if he will mail to you...

Just thought I'd comment on the idea of having a gunsmith drill and tap an UL as I bought one without the holes for sights. If you happen to purchase one without the holes for sights, I'd suggest having Knight drill and tap it otherwise if anyone else does this, it would void your warranty if this is important to you. I also live in CO and needed the open sights so after a bit of misinformation, I sent it to Knight and got it back with no charge. (it did take quite a while to get it done). Good luck whatever you choose.

Update:
I've called all over the place trying to find one of these rifles to no avail. After sending a 2nd email to Knight, I got a phone call from Knight. After having a good talk with the representative, I ordered a rifle from them. Although it's not officially marketed, they sell a 'Colorado Legal' rifle. It comes with the open fiber optic sights of the Western version, but has the 209 ignition. The receiver is also drilled and tapped so that I can install a peep sight.
It was supposed to ship out today or tomorrow, so I should have it next week sometime. :mrgreen:

TheHardWay said:
Update:
I've called all over the place trying to find one of these rifles to no avail. After sending a 2nd email to Knight, I got a phone call from Knight. After having a good talk with the representative, I ordered a rifle from them. Although it's not officially marketed, they sell a 'Colorado Legal' rifle. It comes with the open fiber optic sights of the Western version, but has the 209 ignition. The receiver is also drilled and tapped so that I can install a peep sight.
It was supposed to ship out today or tomorrow, so I should have it next week sometime. :mrgreen:

Excellent!

Latest posts

Back