Storing Blackpowder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you I would google it, I don't know how much you are going to store but it is considered an explosive. The storage box should have one weak side so it can blow out if necessary. The storage and rules for storing black powder is one of the main reasons many places quit selling black powder.

I presently have 14 canisters of GOEX sitting on the top shelf of a closet in my man cave. The smokeless powder and primers are on the second shelf. My reloads are on the third shelf. I still sleep well at night. :wink:

You might want to read this thread before you disclose everything you are storing, and how you are storing it. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthr ... t=534861re This would be good information for OP also.

From looking around I believe a magazine has to be made out of wood or metal. I do remember plastic was one thing they said absolutely do not store black powder in. Do not keep it in a safe is one thing I read.

Black powder is ignitable with static electricity be very careful about this.

Do not keep it in a safe is one thing I read.

If this is true than I am in big trouble. I keep all my blackpowder in my safe,in the plastic containers.Cool,dry and out of reach from undesirables. Never had any troubles.

The reason for not keeping it in a safe is that black powder will explode with high heat. So in a house fire black powder in a box designed to fracture (or a closet) will make a small explosion and fireball. But a strong metal enclosure dramatically increases the explosive force. A safe with black powder becomes a very serious bomb with shrapnel. A house fire may be unlikely. But if the worst happens you don't want to be responsible for the death of several firefighters. Think in terms of that pressure cooker bomb at the Boston Marathon, but bigger. Get it out of that safe.

Interesting. Well once the man room in the basement is done thats where I will store my powder along side my other ammo. Gun safe is staying in the garage bolted to the wall and floor.DO NOT want to attempt to get that thing down the stairs into the basement via a set of wooden steps!

I read someplace that the max allowable amount of black powder in a home is 5 lbs BUT you can have up to 25lbs in your car. That makes sense... Anyway, black powder is an explosive as defined by law and that is why places that sell it must have a magazine. Ever notice smokeless and black powder substitutes are out on the shelves or visible but the clerks always disappear to get the good stuff? All other propellants are flammable solids or propellants and do not require a magazine. I keep my black powder in an ammo can that can be quickly accessed and carried out of the house or thrown out of the window in case of a fire. Black powder burns at the same rate confined as in the open. Smokeless unconfined gives that wonderful, and dangerous, column of flame and the jet engine roar. Black powder goes poof, in small quantities, or BANG in larger ones. Beyond that, given that black is a mechanical powder with no solvents to evap off or deteriorate. Keep it cool and dry and it will still go bang in a century or so. Give or take.

Before 9/11 they had black powder out on the shelves just like the substitutes. I have to sign a sheet when I buy my black powder now and a lot fewer places carry it.

I think you will have to buy or build a powder magazine. They can be made out of metal or wood, if wood I think I read 2" thick. There has to be one weak side so it can blow out before high pressure is reached. It has to be portable, possibly with wheels so it can be removed from the house in case of fire. You need to google it as I am just going from memory.

Back