Optima V2 loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsotm

Reaction score
Who's shooting the Optima V2 and what loads are you using? Been thinking about BH or T7 with a 300 gr XTP but curious to know what's working for everyone else!

Let me know when you know. Going to be trying Bloodlines 275gr and T7 later this week. And Barnes XPB 250gr.

Lehigh bullets would be my first choice, but whatever you choose, try them in a Harvester EZ Load smooth sabot. You can buy from Carlos at 910-692-7936 If you should choose a 458 diameter then I would use the MMP orange sanbot

dsotm said:
Who's shooting the Optima V2 and what loads are you using? Been thinking about BH or T7 with a 300 gr XTP but curious to know what's working for everyone else!
To me it makes sense to start out with less than a premium bullet like the previously mentioned brands. The best thing for an inexperienced shooter is to shoot, and then shoot some more. Why pay double or triple for bullets, when one is just getting a taste of the sport. After a few trips to the range would be the time to try the bullets that cost a $1 or more. Starting with the XTP makes sense to me, plus it is also accurate, and stout enough to take on the hunt. A load of 100g powder might be a good start, and perhaps a good final charge. After one gains experience, it is just fine to give them 'expensive' bullets a try, but it certainly isn't necessary.

It very well may be you will start with the 300g XTP, and 100g powder; then find the combo works great, and stick with it into hunting. Perhaps you will end up shooting the Lehigh, Bloodline, or the Barnes, but these premium bullets certainly aren't necessary to start with.

I shoot an Optima but it is not a V2. My go to load is 90 grains of BlackHorn 209 and a 260 grain Scorpion PT Gold. My rifle also shoots 200 grain 40 caliber shockwaves real well also.

Regulations in my state limit ignition to #11 or musket caps. The Optima V2 "northwest" model comes with a breach plug designed for loose powder and RWS musket caps. I'm currently using T7 3F loose but have had success having pyrodex pellets fire. 100 grains of that T7 3F whacks my shoulder pretty darn good.

I picked up an Optima V2 last year and have not done alot of testing with it yet. That said, I've gotten some really good groups using 100gr of BH 209 and a 250gr Hornady SST-ML bullet. And by good groups, I'm talking about sub-MOA groups at 100yd.

David

StewTCB said:
Regulations in my state limit ignition to #11 or musket caps. The Optima V2 "northwest" model comes with a breach plug designed for loose powder and RWS musket caps. I'm currently using T7 3F loose but have had success having pyrodex pellets fire. 100 grains of that T7 3F whacks my shoulder pretty darn good.

You might try the T7 2f powder, it might not kick as much.

Ok. I picked up the 3F because thats what was in stock that week. Hit and miss so to speak.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but years ago I read that 3F was for .45 Cal and lower and 2F was for .50 Cal and above. I checked CVA spec for my rifle (.50 Cal Accura V2) and they said only use 2F granular in the gun, they said any other granulation could result in improper burning or higher pressures. Also the manual says not to use lead conical bullets weighing more than 400 grains. It goes on to read that all weights of powerbelt bullets may be used in CVA Rifle. 444 grains was the biggest powerbelt bullet I could find.

Couldn't find any 300 gr XTP's so we'll see how the 250's do this weekend with T7 2F. Got the smooth and crush rib Harvester sabots to try out. Maybe I'll get lucky the first time out!

Ive used lots of 3FG in 50cals and 54cals. It normally works fine and i never saw any signs of excessive pressure. It may be a good idea to start by reducing the load by about 10gr or 10% to be close to 2FG in performance. Some loads may shoot better with 2FG but you wont know until you try both.

The 250gr XTP is far from my favorite but its probably killed more deer than any other bullet in a modern inline. Just remember its a 45 Colt bullet and may perform like one if pushed too fast.

Back