QLA Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmashooter

Reaction score
While following the recent QLA thread I was reminded of a T/C Encore that I've had problems with.
To make a long story shorter, in order to sight this rifle in with a scope I needed to use a Weaver medium heighth ring in the front and a high in the back. Even with this the elevation screw is almost bottomed out. (And it looks like heck) Tried a different scope with the same result. Checked the base and it's correct. After reading the above mentioned thread I looked at the muzzle and couldn't see anything out of line in the QLA. Miked the barrel thickness, with a modified tubing mike, about 1/4" down in the QLA and came up with a thickness of .185" to .187" while going all the way around the muzzle. I was simply going to replace this barrel at some point in time but now I'm thinking about running it down to my gunsmith and having him shorten the barrel enough to remove the QLA and recrown. I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

I have a decent amount of Encore barrels. Best scope base / ring combo I have found is DNZ. Easy to set up and will not leave ring marks on your scope if you decide to pull the scope and mount on another gun. $42 at Eds Gun Shop in Vass NC plus shipping.

Most gunsmiths will cut and recrown for $30-$50. As long as they can get the lugged Encore barrel to spin in their lathe its no problem.

Have you tried a different bullet and sabot from the rifle? If so, did you have the same results? Is the base a one piece and the same thickness front to rear? What base are you using and scope?

I've had quite a few Encore platform rifles and when shooting sabots, never had an issue as you describe. However a medium ring in front and a high ring in the rear, will make two level surfaces in different planes, putting uneven pressure on your scope. Its why they make 10 and 20 moa bases. It makes me believe there's something wrong other than the QLA, however I've been wrong before, just ask the wife.........

Yes, I've tried other bullet/sabot combo's. Mostly Barnes bullets w/ various sabots.

Base is the standard one piece Weaver #410 which is their recomendation for the Encore. As you know, because of the mounting hole locations in both the base and barrel, it can be mounted only one way so that's on correctly. Front of the base thickness seems to measure about .003" more than the rear. Scope is a Leupold Vari-x-ll in 2x7 power. It was replaced with a good Nikon 4 power with the same results. I'm aware of the inherent problems with the toggled up mounting system I'm using which was another reason I was simply going to replace the barrel until I read the earlier QLA thread. It would seem that with the entire scope mounting system on the barrel then the problem is with/in the barrel. Also the error is all verticle so it's not misalligned screw mounting holes, etc. Thanks for your suggestions Encore50A.

I'd suggest you call Mike....... Mike Bellm 1.541.956.6938

If it were me and with all you've tried, I'd be calling Kurt for a new barrel............ 1.970.314.9901

I don't know what other's opinions may be but, IMO there's something wrong other than the QLA. Your last resort would be to try cutting it off I guess.

Palmashooter said:
Yes, I've tried other bullet/sabot combo's. Mostly Barnes bullets w/ various sabots.

Base is the standard one piece Weaver #410 which is their recomendation for the Encore. As you know, because of the mounting hole locations in both the base and barrel, it can be mounted only one way so that's on correctly. Front of the base thickness seems to measure about .003" more than the rear. Scope is a Leupold Vari-x-ll in 2x7 power. It was replaced with a good Nikon 4 power with the same results. I'm aware of the inherent problems with the toggled up mounting system I'm using which was another reason I was simply going to replace the barrel until I read the earlier QLA thread. It would seem that with the entire scope mounting system on the barrel then the problem is with/in the barrel. Also the error is all verticle so it's not misalligned screw mounting holes, etc. Thanks for your suggestions Encore50A.

If you can't shoot even sabots well with your gun, then it probably is NOT the QLA causing the problem. I would consider sending it back to T/C when you have some down time shooting wise. They guarantee a 1 & 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with a scope and sabots (or use to)

As a follow up to this post I finally decided to return the barrel to T/C. I really wanted to cut off the QLA section and try it but figured if T/C simply returned it to me I could do this later. ANYWAY, I returned the barrel with a very polite letter stating the problem. In a couple of weeks I got a reply from them stating the barrel wasn't within their "specs" and they would replace it. I've since received the replacement barrel and it cured my problems. I gave them a call to thank them and ask what the problem was with the returned barrel. I could never get past the PR type people to get an answer so I'll never know. Thanks to all on here who offered suggestions.

Latest posts

Back