Knight mountaineer scope issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a new Knight Mountaineer, left hand stock, with the factory supplied Leupold 3-9 direct from Knight. Today I went to the range to let it bark for the first time. I started out at 25 yards not knowing how close it would be. First 2 shots were about 2-1/2 left and 6 low. (so I'd say it wasnt even bore sighted) I got right left dialed in, but there wasnt enough up on the scope adjustments to get where I needed. I ended up with about 1/2" low even tried to 50 yards and got beautifull grouping but 1" low and up maxed out on scope. Anyone ever get the knight mounted scope and have a problem? I figured it had to be in the rings, what they supplied was pretty much cheap junk, but the additional price was about what I would pay for the scope alone. I just ordered a DNZ mount for it, but then had a thought, could the rings just be reversed? Ive never heard of a front/rear specific..but Im no scope mounting authority..I HAVE done a few. everything was tight, I even double checked at the range. It Just seems pretty strange to me.

Hey squeeze,

I have swapped the Weaver style clamp rings (screws only on one side) a couple times and it made a difference. Not so on Leupold/Redfield style. What type does Knight use now?

When I got my KRB7 I had to order the rings and bases from Knight as I could not find anything that would fit. They are not the best looking set but they did work good.

Its basically a weaver base and ring set.. Already ordered a DNZ mount, so I don't think Ill even bother trying to switch the weaver.

muBdcSQWMqo8_8p7xLAJdLg.jpg

I have done the same thing... pulled the scope and moved the mounts around. It actually made a difference but I agree, it should not have to be maxed out to make it low. Maybe the new mount will help.

Yep, was the bases. I put on a new DNZ mount and went to the range. It took me most of the day to get it resighted... my not boresighting beforehand became a BIG regret. lol My method is to hold the barrel/forend in a towel in a vise and look straight through the barrel and aim it at a certain point across the basement ( even a post it note with a dot, exact corner of something....) then center crosshairs on the spot. usually gets me to a good start at 25 yards. I had to start at abt 12 yards (after a no hit target at 25 :oops: )and crank the dials like a kid determined to break a new toy. I got it close, but after getting to the 100 yards, and not having patience to properly cool the barrel. I figured enough for today. one more day should do it. 100 grn volume BH and a 300 grn sst in the supplied red sabot I had several clovers at 100, on a hot barrel. So Im smiling again :D Next time Ill bring a camera

Glad you got it on track. I usually look through the bore after mounting a scope, easy with a M-L. At 25 or so yards with a big target it's usually easy to start off with the adjustments.

Back