Fall is Coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sqezer said:
sabotloader said:
sqezer said:
I'm thinking it will be the .45 Super 1-20 with the 200 gr. Sabotless Leigh Bullet. :yeah:

That is exactly what I had planned, but today for some reason I went another direction - so I am going with the ULite and a .458-275 grain Lehigh Bloodline... But it is still a long ways to October 10

My son is going to Colorado for a wedding in November where he is best man, then the Bride, Groom, and my son are going on a Elk Hunt. I'm trying to talk him into taking the .52 I got from you Mike, that would make me happy. :yeah:

Problem is if he is hunting during ML season he has to use a full bore conical and 52 conicals are hard to find. There is a guy on Gun Broker that does make a 52 lead conical...

If I even decide to deer hunt this year.. yes I know, shock!! But the deer are just not around and I'm to lazy to wander away from home anymore. But if I do go.. on nice days out of a ground blind I will be using my custom .54 caliber flintlock with a simple roundball and 90 grains of black powder. If the weather is nasty, wet, cold, etc.. then I will be using my White Ultra Mag .504 with a 460 grain conical and 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f powder.

I was talking to friends today at the house. He owns 160 acres about two miles from me. I asked him (since he's always in the woods) how the deer population looks at his place and he shocked me when he said.. I don't think I am even wasting the money on a license this year. Now this is a man who lives and breaths deer hunting. I am sure he will go hunting, because he always has a gang of men and women at his cabin. But when he told me he saw almost no deer sign in his woods, I was surprised. He normally shoots a buck each year. And it is buck only this year. He did say there are lots of rabbits this year. That might be fun.

If I'm up North with the fewer deer numbers, WI or the Northern U.P. I can be just as satisfied bagging a coyote as a deer. I realize they recently relaxed the coyote regs during firearm deer season. It's also good to revisit locations from hunts decades ago. Never know, that rare 8 ptr may wander by, like it did for me last year.

I was in the Northern U.P. Still hunting in 'the big woods'. I saw a 6 ptr an hour after 1st light crunching up a hill. Then 1:30 in the afternoon an 8 ptr came by while I was posted on a knob. Those are the 2 deer I saw up to that point, my expectations were low. Luck played a large part in the hunt with low deer numbers.

Back