Ram Rod Tip for Thor bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHardWay

Reaction score
Just purchased a new Knight Ultra Light rifle, and have been messing around with Thor bullets. I tried the .500s and they simply dropped through the unfired barrel, and out the breech. The .501s were very tight. So after doing some research on the site, I read that BH209 fouling acts as lubricant, helping the bullet slide down the barrel. Since I am set on shooting BH209 and Thors, I took a shot with an old Powerbelt and some BH209 just to get some fouling. After that, the .501 Thors I have slid down the barrel much easier, albeit, it still take slight effort. In seating the bullet in the bore with the factory Knight ram rod, I noticed that the rod tip slightly deforms the polymer tip of the Thor bullet. This was never a problem when I was using the Powerbelts since the tip of the bullet was more blunt and was not nearly as pointy as the Thor.
Is there a ram rod tip out there that I can swap out with the factory Knight tip that would engage the copper part of the ogive of the bullet rather than the tip?

Here is what I use: http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/55519

Though I do not shoot Thor I shoot harvester scorpion PT gold 300 grain, Barns TEZ 250 grain, Hornady 300 grain XTP, T/C shockwave 250 grain, and more.

I had the CVA bullet starter and it would pull the end off the Scorpion PT Gold, after some research I came up with the T/C #9067 Jag and Rod Tip, I replaced the CVA jags with the T/C jags. I have used it on all of the above bullets and have not had a problem. The T/C Jags and the T/C extension jag is 10x32 threads.

To finish ramming the bullet down the barrel I use a range rod with the old style spin jag, it works great. They have a newer one for these types of bullets, but after trying my old one with good results I stuck with it. The spin Jag keeps the bullet tip from being scored by the loading jag. http://www.spinjag.com/accessories_spinjag.php

For use reloading in the field for my CVA Accura V2 and my T/C pro hunter I bought the T/C extended super Jag With the swivel jag tip, to use in place of the OEM extensions. I checked all the bullets I hunt with and the tip is fine.

I can't say it would work for yours but I cannot see why it would not. I don't think the Thor is that much different from some of the above bullets.

You would have to ask someone else what size the threads are in the Knight Ramrod. Also make sure the tip on the ramrod would fit in your gun. Spin Jag does make ramrods with the spin jag on the ramrod that will fit most guns. In any event do a little research and you will know which way to go. If the 10x32 thread will fit your gun, use your ramrod for hunting with a T/C Extended super jag stated above, then use a range rod for range work. That is what I do. Good Luck.

TheHardWay said:
Just purchased a new Knight Ultra Light rifle, and have been messing around with Thor bullets. I tried the .500s and they simply dropped through the unfired barrel, and out the breech. The .501s were very tight. So after doing some research on the site, I read that BH209 fouling acts as lubricant, helping the bullet slide down the barrel. Since I am set on shooting BH209 and Thors, I took a shot with an old Powerbelt and some BH209 just to get some fouling. After that, the .501 Thors I have slid down the barrel much easier, albeit, it still take slight effort. In seating the bullet in the bore with the factory Knight ram rod, I noticed that the rod tip slightly deforms the polymer tip of the Thor bullet. This was never a problem when I was using the Powerbelts since the tip of the bullet was more blunt and was not nearly as pointy as the Thor.
Is there a ram rod tip out there that I can swap out with the factory Knight tip that would engage the copper part of the ogive of the bullet rather than the tip?

take a look at a Spin Jag Original..

www.spinjag.com

I hunted the Thors for CO Elk last yeAr.

I believe I used the TC SuperJag for loading at the range and prior the hunt. My guess is that the standard Knight Jag would be fine for the rare follow up shot. I will carry one in my reload kit and screw it to the rod as needed. MZ hunting is really a one shot hunt anyway.

The TC. Jags are cheap and easy to find. They work great for loading spire point bullets. The only problem is that they are long and typically not great for a rod attached to the gun.

While in the local sporting goods store today, I found a TC t-handle bullet starter that came with two tips for use with long spire bullets. It threaded into the end of the factory tip my Knight ram rod, but sticks out past the muzzle about a 1/2". I don't think it will hurt anything, but still bothers me a little bit. The other end of the rod is also threaded for a tip, but I can't seem to remove the factory tip/short pullout extension. Anyone have any tips for removing the extension part?

The Extending part of the rod should not be removed. It is only supposed to thread into the feral part way and if you try to remove it any farther you will break the extension off. Just thread your tip onto the other jag. The little bit it extends past the muzzle will not hurt a thing. Knight did make a rod that was non-extending and you can find them once in a while on Gun broker. I have one of them that is 24" but I prefer the extending rods myself.

I just noticed you are using a Knight UL, they have a 24" barrel. Knight still has the non-extending rods.

http://www.knightrifles.com/aluminum-ram-rod-24-inches/

I just wish they still had .54 cal jags for the extending rod. :roll:

Latest posts

Back