White hots or triple seven for longe range?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Since I have no experience with White Hots.. I would recommend the Triple Seven powder. But remember, be sure to swab the bore between shots with Triple Seven. Its a great powder and a powerful powder. For longer distances you want a good strong powder.

Long range MZ shooting takes some practice to be done right. Things start to drop fast after 150 yards but with practice it can be done.

I would suggest loose T 7 powder.

Joelb58 said:
Just got a cva optima v2 for deer season. Will be hunting cornfields and would love to be able to shoot out to 200 yards. I was out this past weekend and shooting nice groups with triple 7 pelletized and white hots at 50 yards. Is there any advantage in either of the two when moving distance out to over 100 yards? What about on any other metric? Thanks

They are the same pellet... White Hot's just do not have the black Dye added that T7 does. Even T7 in it's true state is white but Hodgdon’s added black to resemble black powder... White Hot's are sold under the IMR brand - that Hodgdon’s also owns.

I would use loose 777 powder, if you don't or can't go to Blackhorn 209. It's not hard to measure and use loose powder, for the hunt just have a few pre-measured charges.

Back