Omega peep sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creekrunner

Reaction score
My dad has an omega and decided he was done using his scope. I tried and tried to sight his gun in with iron sights it's always shooting to the left at least a foot. I tried using different loads but still couldn't hit the mark. I was thinking of ordering a Williams peep but not sure about them in a hunting situation any thoughts ? Thanks

A problem i have using a peep sight whilst hunting, is focusing on the front sight. Once, i fell, and damaged the front sight, but only once. Over the years of hunting with scopes, i imagine i fell a jillion times, but never once damaged a scope.

Myself, i have used two different Williams sights on my Omega. The FP works good, and the WGRS works good too. However, i never had any issues with the bullets hitting a foot left. One thing i like to do, is replace the provided peep insert with the largest one available from Williams. Also, if memory serves, i may have removed some material from the bottom of the vertical slide of the FP, so it would clear the stock; no big deal.

The year the regulations changed so we could use a 1X scope, i quit using the peep sights, and switched to the 1X scope. Because focusing on the front sight is no longer an issue, i can shoot more accurately, and also a bit further with the scope, even though i don't really much care for the 1X..

He used iron sights for 40 years and never used a scope until 4-5 years ago when I got him the omega. Since then he just has tried it with different scopes and just doesn't like using a scope we hunt in the woods and thickets of southern ohio where his longest shot has only been 100 yards with 90% being in the 50-60 yard range. He is just ready to go back to what he knows. His gun came with the Williams fire sights so and those are the ones I am having trouble with. I am hoping I can do some tweaking and maybe get it to shoot some what straight.
I thought about the peep sight just as another option. I am trying to give him the most capable gun I can. I am tied of literally watching him pull up on deer and miss them from 40 yards haha

Your father may not see through the scope, right now, when he shoulders the rifle. Too much magnification? Scope incorrectly located..forward/aft, up/down? When one shoulders the rifle the target should be instantly visible in sharp focus through the scope.

It very well may be he wouldn't be able to the iron sights anymore, because of advancing age.. iron sights may not be a viable solution, even though they worked for him, when he was younger.

We have a few extra WGRS sights we will never use, if you wish to try one. However, they may not have enough adjustment to move bullet impact one foot to the right. Another issue is they have very little vertical adjustment, and your front sight may be too tall, or too short. At any rate you can have one of these WGRS if you send a few dollars for postage, and gasoline; a few meaning a few.

Too me it seems the best solution would be a low magnification scope correctly mounted. When i shoulder my rifle, i see the target instantly, clearly, and the cross hair is normally located right where i was looking. However, if father wants iron sights, that is what he wants.

Thanks Ron I will pm you for your info. He's not that old yet not even 60 and we have tried all the above in adjusting the scopes this way that way different powers he just doesn't like using them for whatever reason I am not sure the peep sight will fix the problems it was just an idea he had. And if that makes him happy and he likes it that's all that matters to me. Seemed like it would be an cheap experiment if it doesn't work o well still get to have fun trying.

Latest posts

Back