Winchester 209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a special Winchester 209 primers that you should use with BH209. I was at Cabella's the other day and saw they had Winchester 209 for Triple Seven is that what everybody uses? They are not for me but for my son for his TC Pro Hunter. For me I use either Remington or RWS #11 caps or RWS Musket caps for my Whites so I don't know anything about 209 primers.

I use the Winchester W209 with BH 209 and they work fine. The ones recommended on the BH209 web site are 209M (M=Magnum). I could never find any of those locally so I just went with the W209. Never had an issue. Your not supposed to use any of the primers made specifically for muzzleloaders like the T7 ones you mentioned. They recommend two or three primers on they're web site you can go check out.

Use regular Win209s, FED209As or CCI209Ms. Whichever one fits the best in that rifle. Less blowby will do more than being slightly hotter. If the MAGs fit better then so be it.

All of my rifles like the fit of the W209 primers. They are Winchester' standard shotgun primer. They are 100% reliable for igniting Blackhorn powder in any CVA, TC, or Knight rifle with a properly designed breech plug.

edmehlig said:
Is there a special Winchester 209 primers that you should use with BH209. I was at Cabella's the other day and saw they had Winchester 209 for Triple Seven is that what everybody uses? They are not for me but for my son for his TC Pro Hunter. For me I use either Remington or RWS #11 caps or RWS Musket caps for my Whites so I don't know anything about 209 primers.

Ed, I think one of the questions you are asking... there is a Winchester Primer built for ignition if T7. They have the same shape and look of a regular W209 but they do not have the same heat, they are designed to be cooler to help reduce the 'crud ring' of T7. The nose of the prime should also be 'BLACK' Even they will ignite BH with the right plug, but I am not sure of their reliability in cold weather.

The regular W209 in a blue box of some sort is the primer that a lot of people are using, but as Ron indicates you will need a breech plug designed to shoot BH.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't Sure which Winchester 209 primer everybody used. I was in the ML section at Cabellas and just saw the Winchester 209 primer for 777. My son currently is using the Federal 209a primers but isn't satisfied with the accuracy. I thought being I was at Cabellas I would pick up some Winchester primers for him to try out.

edmehlig said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't Sure which Winchester 209 primer everybody used. I was in the ML section at Cabellas and just saw the Winchester 209 primer for 777. My son currently is using the Federal 209a primers but isn't satisfied with the accuracy. I thought being I was at Cabellas I would pick up some Winchester primers for him to try out.

Again it really depends on the rifle and the breech plug in the rifle. If it is an older rifle with an older BP it may need a MAG primer...

The Winchester primers may not fit right in the TC, they are a tad longer than most and some TC owners complain of not being able to close the rifles action properly, myself included with the Triumph.
CCI 209M fit good.

Latest posts

Back