painted my Mk-85 stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenm2

Reaction score
[URL=http://s527.photobucket.com/us...s/cc358/cowkiller-photos/mk-85stock.jpg[/img][/url]
mk-85stock.jpg
[/url][/img]

I used some rustoleum stone textured paint. it came out better than I thought it would. The is the rifle I got from larrybud recently. it was an older stock I had laying around

Looks great! Ive often thought of using that stuff but never have. Keep us posted on how it holds up.

Great job! That looks great! :yeah: I have an old elite stock I modified (but no elite :( ) and was thinking of trying that same paint on it. Seeing how good yours looks makes me want to dig it out and give it a try.

I tried painting a replacement knight stock for one of my 95's, had real bad luck. Paint would never cure. When it came you could see the original paint was pealing off too. Must have just been too much oil or something in the pores and I could never get it out. Ended up sending it to a guy that put it in some type of etching tank and then put it in a old pizza oven then applied an epoxy type paint then back in the oven at 400* for 30 min, then shut the oven off and just left it in there to cure during the cool down. Worked great.

Thanks guys. I hope the Elk like it too!
I want to see if it holds up as well. if not I still have the black one.
I did go to the trouble of priming it with a separate compatible primer. Before that I used Alcohol to clean it really well.
This gun is the rifle I got from Larry Bud. It is a nice piece. I am very Happy with it.

That is outstanding! Thanks for giving me yet another idea to tinker with. :yeah:

That is a nice looking pair of older MKs as they both have the Plunger Retaining Set Screw.

Nice Twins! I really like the paint color on the brown one!

Yes both are .50s and set up nearly identical. I am hoping they both like the same load and bullet. The black one shoots 460 bullshop lights out.
I have not shot the brown one yet. The bore is excellent on it so I am sure it will be a shooter as well.

following up, I shot "the brown one" the other day and it is as accurate as the "black one" I am getting Jazzed up leaving a month from today to go punch a hole in an Elk.
think I'll shoot "the brown one"
I am Hunting with a high school buddy who I got turned on to Muzzleloaders. He found a sweet Bighorn with a thumbhole. Same sight set up as mine. same load same same. makes it easy if something breaks or goes awry. "The Black one" will be back up
We are backpacking in 4-5 miles for a 3-4 day stay (after that we are livin on elk meat) head into to our base camp and resupply and back out for another 3-4 days.
it should be a "blast" literally.

Steve that trip sounds amazing!!! Make sure to take pics to share with the class when you get back

Latest posts

Back