Flyers withe the Elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we beat this topic up a few weeks ago but thought it would be a good reminder for those who have not received the message.

My last two deer were taken with a 45 Cal Knight Disc Elite. I've had the gun for years. I've glass bed it and consider it a very good shooter. I can routinely shoot nice tight groups with 110 of BH209 and a 200 grain SST. However, I have never paid attention to the first shot. I don'y know why this has eluded me. I would often shoot some inexpensive 180 XTPs for warm ups.

Yesterday I was focused on the first shot. I cleaned the oil out of the barrel with an alcohol swab, shot 3 primers, dry swabbed, 2 more primers. ( this works on my 50 Extreme ).

The results were not good and may explain my poorly placed shot on the last two deer. Both deer were taken at 110- 125 yards.

It looks like I will be hunting on a fouled bore with the Elite from now on.

5" left at 100 yards is a big miss in my book. Shots 3,4,5 are were I'd expect it to be. I had it sighted in 2-3" high at 100.

I can't remember, do you knurl?
MMP sabot or Harvester?
Index sabot pedals?

When i received my used Elite, the bore was in good shape but when I ran a patch through it (cut cotton patch around 45 cal brass brush) it felt like it was hanging up some. After a number of strokes with JB bore paste, the patch pushed much easier, maybe try some if you haven't already, it may help.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I can't remember, do you knurl?
MMP sabot or Harvester?
Index sabot pedals?

When i received my used Elite, the bore was in good shape but when I ran a patch through it (cut cotton patch around 45 cal brass brush) it felt like it was hanging up some. After a number of strokes with JB bore paste, the patch pushed much easier, maybe try some if you haven't already, it may help.

I use the Harvester smooth blue.

I don't knurl or index. However, look at shots 3,4 & 5. They are MOA. While I don't always shoot MOA, I'm usually in the neighborhood.

I really believe this is fouled bore vs. clean bore issue. I do use BH 209. I haven't tried the same experiment with T7 but I don't see how it would differ.

:huh?: Try this, clean the bore with a alcohol swab then follow up with a few dry patches, then pop 3 primers, that far left shot is not normal. I picked up a .50 Knight Disc for $50.00 from a gun shop that would not shoot a group, I check the stock and found that the ramp just in front of the trigger allowed the barrel to rock back and forth in the stock. Now after bedding the stock and grinding down that ramp and also bedding the ramp it is now a great shooter.

I shoot BH 209 also, if none of the above works, try cleaning between shots, one patch with something like hope's #9 elite both sides, then dry patch, then a light oil patch, I use slip 2000 Lube, it won't react with black powder oir BH 209, then a dry patch. Mine would not get rid of first shot flyiers until I did this. I assume you are cleaning the flash channel with a drill bit ever so many shots.

When I first started shooting BH 209 there were occasional flyiers, mostly when I took the gun out of the safe, the first shot was always off. I don't have a place to shoot a fouling shot before I deer hunt and don't like hunting with a fouled barrel, I also don't like leaving my gun loaded for any length of time with a fouled barrel. I tried many suggestions, I tried popping numerous caps before loading, using alchol and/or Hope's #9 Elite, to remove the oil before loading the first shot of the day. I tried using just Hope's #9 Elite to clean between shots, I tried not cleaning between shots. None of it worked, I always had the first shot of the day with a flyier with an occasional flyier.

Then I got thinking about it as It was always happening after I fully cleaned my gun to put it in the safe, the next time I got it out to shoot I always had the first shot flyier, no matter what I did, with nothing else to try, I tried the above between shot procedure. It worked. The only thing I don't do in the first shot procedure that I do at home, is use a wire brush on the barrel after putting the hope's #9 elite in the bore.

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, or even help you. I will be something to try when everything else failes. Good Luck.

sqezer said:
:huh?: Try this, clean the bore with a alcohol swab then follow up with a few dry patches, then pop 3 primers, that far left shot is not normal. I picked up a .50 Knight Disc for $50.00 from a gun shop that would not shoot a group, I check the stock and found that the ramp just in front of the trigger allowed the barrel to rock back and forth in the stock. Now after bedding the stock and grinding down that ramp and also bedding the ramp it is now a great shooter.

I agree the shot on the left is not normal. However, the barrel and action are bedded so that eliminates the improper fit in the stock problem.

I did clean with a alcohol / wiper fluid patch ( both sides ). Then a dry patch, both sides, then, 3 primers, then, a dry patch to spread the fouling, then, 2 more primers, then, load and fire.

The five shots shown had no scope or POA adjustments. 3-5 are where I had it last sighted in. 1 & 2 I can't explain but they do help explain so poorly place shots on game by yours truly.

Mine always prints the first shot out of a clean barrel out of the group though not as bad as yours. I never invested the time to figure it out so I always hunt on a fouled barrel. My 2nd shot is always within the group. I clean the barrel after 4 days hunting without any rust issues unless it rains then right away. BH fouling and moisture make rust.

Latest posts

Back