Shooting the .52

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Knight Disc Extreme .52 cal I picked up a few years back. It does not get much attention so I thought I'd celebrate the 3 day weekend withe some 52 shooting.

I've never been able to get the 375 grain Barnes bullets to shoot great. I know they'd be great on game! I sent 3 down range at 75 yards and produced a 1.5" group with 120 grains of 3F T7. I guess thats OK but I'd like better. Then, I shot some FBC's I bought off gun broker a few years back. These were the 430 grain versions. They shot pretty well with 75 grains of T7 3F.

Finally,

I shot 3 rounds of the 325 grain FTX's. Not too bad at 100 yards.

All in all a fun day.

I shoot BH 209 not T7, But try cleaning between shots, one patch with something like hope's #9 elite both sides, then dry patch, then a light oil patch, I use slip 2000 Lube, it won't react with black powder or BH 209, then a dry patch. Mine would not get rid of first shot flyiers until I did this. I assume you are cleaning the flash channel with a drill bit ever so many shots.

When I first started shooting BH 209 there were occasional flyiers, mostly when I took the gun out of the safe, the first shot was always off. I don't have a place to shoot a fouling shot before I deer hunt and don't like hunting with a fouled barrel, I also don't like leaving my gun loaded for any length of time with a fouled barrel. I tried many suggestions, I tried popping numerous caps before loading, using alchol and/or Hope's #9 Elite, to remove the oil before loading the first shot of the day. I tried using just Hope's #9 Elite to clean between shots, I tried not cleaning between shots. None of it worked, I always had the first shot of the day with a flyier with an occasional flyier.

Then I got thinking about it as It was always happening after I fully cleaned my gun to put it in the safe, the next time I got it out to shoot I always had the first shot flyier, no matter what I did, with nothing else to try, I tried the above between shot procedure. It worked. The only thing I don't do in the first shot procedure that I do at home, is use a wire brush on the barrel after putting the hope's #9 elite in the bore.

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, or even help you. I will be something to try when everything else failes. Good Luck.

Back