knight disc 45 super and conical bulliets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
280Bravo said:
Has anyone tryed them in a 1in20 twist barrel and if so what kind of results do you get.

The longer the conical the better they will shoot from the 1-20...

Remember Doc White's 45 are all 1-20 twist and shoot huge 45 conicals very well...

SIr Joseph Whitworth proved the 1:20 twist with a 530gr bullet to be the most accurate ML ever built, even at 1000 yds in 1852! Still shooting them today in Oak Ridge TN every spring, everyone with Black Powder (85gr, 1350 fps) and lead bullets. 30 shooters each year have been doing this for the past 16 years. The NMLRA re-started LRML shooting about 1994, their range being limited to 500 yards made the Oak Ridge match possible.
My Knight In-line 1:20 will shoot, but with a scope I'm limited on distance. Have no idea how it might shoot at 1000? Practically the same load as in my John Rigby Match Rifle.

80gr BH209 with a wool wad and 460gr No Excuse conicals at 100yds with a 1:20 Knight.

110gr BH209 260gr PR Bullet Dead Center with Harvester blue sabot at 100yds. Top is 5 shots with Fed 209 primers and low by bull is with a Win 209 primer. The one just outside the top group was the 5th shot, 4 is in that small cluster. 1:20 twist Knight. Mine seems to really like the heavy stuff. Good luck.

I just got of the phone with the man from no excuse and he does not give out samples so i'll do somemore looking around on line to see what other people are saying.

A Noexcuses .451 460gr will likely fit you DISC Original 45 bore just fine. Mine runs right at .450 or a tad less. 80grV of BH209 in mine was clocking right around 1400fps+ IIRC and 60grV was in the 1200fps+ range.

My 1:20 Knight has a bore diameter between 0.452" & 0.453". Seems nothing is standardized with ML.

Many 45cal ML bore buttons are based on the 45/70 bore button, roughly .450x.458 As buttons wear, bore size changes also (obviously). This is not unique to MLs. Measure a few 45/70 bores and you will see a couple thousandths variations also. Mostly in land to land dimensions.

what do you use to measure the inside diameter of the barrel.
right now I use the Barnes expander MZ 195 grain with the Brown Sabot and get really great results with 100 grains of triple seven.
Just wanted to see if conicals would do anygood good.
Thanks

280Bravo said:
what do you use to measure the inside diameter of the barrel.
right now I use the Barnes expander MZ 195 grain with the Brown Sabot and get really great results with 100 grains of triple seven.
Just wanted to see if conicals would do anygood good.
Thanks

If you might want some conicals for that rifle - email Bull Shop Dan @ [email protected]

Mine use .452x465 MtNE grain - if course he has other weights...

I have a large set of pin gauges from 0.250"-0.500" every 0.001". The 0.452 drops in and the 0.453" does not.
You can also us a lead slug (or Round ball) and drive it in, then attempt to measure the bore diameter with calipers (not enough room for micrometers).
A 3rd way is to use Cerosafe and cast a slug of the bore.

Omega 45 tryed to send you a pm but did not work.
I order a box of no excuse yesterday.
I was wondering do you use wad that are lube or dry and where did you buy your wads?
Are you able to load after a shot or do you have to swab the barrel every time using BH 209?

I just load and shoot mine with BH209, no swabbing. A little fouling will help if they are a little on the loose side.

I like .060x.460 veggie fiber wads better but wools work fine too. BH209 burns a little hot so you want something to protect the base of the conical.

I use Eastern Maine wool wads. I snap a couple primers in the bore to get some fouling in there as the bullets are a shade loose in my bore. I dump powder, place a wad in bore then place bullet on top of wad and send them home together. No swabbing with BH209. Clean when your done shooting. I tried T7 a few weeks back w/o swabbing and groups were horrible probably due to the crud ring. That day I finally made up my mind to never shoot T7 again!!!!!!

Omega45 said:
I use Eastern Maine wool wads. I snap a couple primers in the bore to get some fouling in there as the bullets are a shade loose in my bore. I dump powder, place a wad in bore then place bullet on top of wad and send them home together. No swabbing with BH209. Clean when your done shooting. I tried T7 a few weeks back w/o swabbing and groups were horrible probably due to the crud ring. That day I finally made up my mind to never shoot T7 again!!!!!!

Interesting. I shoot T7 3F out of my fast twist White and a handful of 1/28 Knight with great accuracy. I may swab every 3-5 shots. I've never tried BH 209 because my guns seem to like the fouling for a little grip.

Interesting about the fouling for gripping a loose bullet - Thanks
I witnessed a guy shooting BH209 thru a chronograph this summer, he and I were surprised how much variation over 100fps, once over 200fps he had when he did NOT clean between shots - probably 10 shots fired w/o cleaning. With cleaning he fired a couple rounds and it was around 25fps.
Anyone else tried this?

You can also use white plumbers tape to wrap the conical to "simulate" a fouled bore. I do this for my first shot out of the white rifles, try it works!! :yeah:

52Bore said:
Interesting about the fouling for gripping a loose bullet - Thanks
I witnessed a guy shooting BH209 thru a chronograph this summer, he and I were surprised how much variation over 100fps, once over 200fps he had when he did NOT clean between shots - probably 10 shots fired w/o cleaning. With cleaning he fired a couple rounds and it was around 25fps.
Anyone else tried this?

Interesting, my best groups with BH209 have been with no swabbing. Even after 40+ rounds fired.

Ive found just the opposite to be true in mine whether its sabots or sabotless. In my Pacnor 45 with a .450 bore and a .451 conical, spreads were in the teens to upper 20s. I cant remember the temps atm but i think its was around 70F at that time. The veggie wads i use are rather tight in that bore and slightly tighter in my DISC 45. The Savage plug in my Pacnor is not quite as efficient at igniting BH209 as the Lehigh plug IMO. Both still work fine though with the correct primer. I use standard Win209s in the Knights and FED209As in the Savage mostly.

The only time i do swab with BH209 is when shooting resized .451 bullets saboteless. The jacketed bullets get really tight if i dont dry swab withing 5-10 shots.

Latest posts

Back