More or less pwder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a GM fast twist barrel 1-28. I've been trying the .503 460grn No excuses conical. I've shot them at 80 grns of fffg goex and a hard card. grouping is not very good. Should they be pushed faster may be closer to 90grn or slower more toward 70grns. trying to decide which way to go on the next range session. Thx.

Have you tried them without the card under them? I normally use t-7 for conicals and shoot 65 grains. But I don't see why what your using is not working.

If they go down to easy they may be too small a diameter for your barrel. That would cause them not to group well

I have not tried them without a wad and they seem to do a little better with a fouled barrel. No excuses recommends a powder charge in the 90 to 100 grns of pryodex. I do have some larger diameter Bull Shop bullets that I can try also. The testing continues :)

I would try less.

I was shooting .504 460 NE's out of a 1/28 Knight last year. I found a sweet spot at 70 and then again at 90 ( T7 3F ). The only reason I went up was because I was Elk hunting. For deer, the 70 would have been fine.

A 405gr bullet and 70gr of black powder killed lots of game for over 100 years. I imagine it still works fine today.

Try less powder and see how it shoots.

Idahoron has shot similar weight bullets with 80 grains of Pyrodex P and a lubed felt wad under the bullet. The biggest difference is that he shoots paper patched bullets now. He used to shoot the Hornady Great Plains 410 grain bullet accurately before trying the cast bullets with paper patching.
If you could get some, I would suggest trying a felt wad in place of the hard wad.

I have used idaho rons paper patching method with this rifle and I still need to tweek the diameter after sizing. I;m still just a little tight while loading, this gun shoots great with the .500 no excuses patched with of all things "Bugler" brand cigarette rolling papers then run through a .501 sizer. My concern is that the paper is really fragile and sometimes tears during loading..not good. I was at the range shooting and had some of the .503 N E and thought I would try them. I do have some 54 cal wool wads that I can try. I may knurl the .503 to up the diameter just a tad. I will just have to try 70 grns and work up from there.

Well I'm coming to the conclusion that this barrel really does not like conicals for some reason. I shot several different powder combos and wad stacks and I'm not getting anything that looks like a group. However I shot a 4 shot string with the 300grn Hornady SST easy load sabots and 100grns of ffg Goex and bingo 1-1/2 inch group. This was at the end of a shooting session and swabbing between shots. So the barrel is capable. The quest continues.

Harleysboss said:
So I have a GM fast twist barrel 1-28. I've been trying the .503 460grn No excuses conical. I've shot them at 80 grns of fffg goex and a hard card. grouping is not very good. Should they be pushed faster may be closer to 90grn or slower more toward 70grns. trying to decide which way to go on the next range session. Thx.

I have several GM 1-28 barrels and they shoot the Bull Shop great. I am loading 85/90 grains of T7 3f. White rifles probably most well know conical shooter there is uses a 1-24 fast twist.

Question??? what rifle is this? is it a GM drop in barrel or one of the Knights?

This is a target shot with a GM 1-28 barrel. It was only shot at 50 yards as I was shooting through a chrono...

On this Target shot #2 was totally my fault, I had the set trigger set and it went off just before I was really ready.

Yes this is a GM LRH. I guess I should have posted in the sidelock forum. Anyhow I do have some of the Bullshop 460 mtn nx in the .5045 size. They will be next. They shoot great out of my White Bison 504. Since T7 is stronger than Goex, should I bump the charge up tp 100grns? 90grns was not good 6" group.

Harleysboss said:
Yes this is a GM LRH. I guess I should have posted in the sidelock forum. Anyhow I do have some of the Bullshop 460 mtn nx in the .5045 size. They will be next. They shoot great out of my White Bison 504. Since T7 is stronger than Goex, should I bump the charge up tp 100grns? 90grns was not good 6" group.

Not necessarily... I think I would start at 70 grains and work up from there. you probably will end up around 80/85 but I still would start @ 70.

I only shoot 460 gr. Conicals from 3 knight rifles all with 1-28 twist.
I have found the MMP Ballistic Bridge Sub Base has helped my group size the most.
I also took Mike's advice and started with 70 gr. working up 5 gr. at a time to 90gr. where groups started opening up. I settled at 80 gr. that seems to give me the best groups and is easily repeatable. My hunting partner has a Knight Bighorn and he shoots the same load and bullet with similar results.
It is not uncommon for me to have several bullets touching at 100 yards with peep sights and old eyes.
I do not think the twist is the problem.
The bullshops are slightly more consistent than NE but not enough to make me prefer one over the other.
I will be hunting Elk with this load in less than a month and I have no concerns regarding accuracy or bullet performance. More with how I am going to get within 125 yards of a Bull I want to harvest.

I swab with a windex moistened patch between shots at the range. Mostly because of the crud ring (I just feel better knowing that the crud ring is gone). I occasionally will not swab because I know I will not be able to swab while hunting. there is not much difference but I would not do it more than twice without swabbing. In the field I would use a wet patch after my second shot. I hope I don't ever need to hunt back to camp after missing twice. That would be a lousy day.

Back