Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well today the weather was cool and very little wind so I ventured out to the club to shoot. I was planning on shooting the Elite and my Savage 243. After determining tht the scope I mounted on the Savage was defective. Cheapo given to me had to try it. I put it away and got out the MK-95 .54 cal. The load is 100 gr. Bh209 under a Speer 325 Uni-Core in a MMP Purple sabot lit off by a CCI 250 LRMP. I'm happy to say the least it needs to come down about two inches but that is another day.

Shot one was high left, shot two high right 3,4 and 5 laid right in there once I tamed the beast's recoil.

That's some good shooting once the barrel fouled.

I'm not sure what a MK -95 Elite is exactly? it shoots BH209 I see. Does it have a bolt or is it a plunger gun?

Great shooting. :yeah: They do have some recoil since they are light. Got to Hang On to them pretty good (front and rear) and lean into it when on the bench too, it will help with the vertical flyers. I love mine, guess that is no secret by now. :wink: Those Speer's do shoot great and should hit real hard. Just wish that Speer could keep up with demand. I have seen a box or two on gunbroker. Did you see any splitting of the Speer cases with the 100gn of BH?

I'm in Ohio this week and should be melting some lead tomorrow down to smaller ingots. Then cast some home made .500 325's.

Larrybud, The rifle is a combination of Plunger and bolt. It was out just before the DISC. You can check it out here.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25091&p=190144#p190075

You know I thought about looking at the cases but I didn't, and now they are in with my other fired cases. I spent most of last summer shooting a 243, so it took some time to get back into shooting the MLer's. Reminds me a lot of shooting my 12 ga. with sabot slug loads. I want to get back next weekend and try the 350 Hornady's and the 400 Seirra' s again.

that is some nice shooting. And a heck of a hunting load.

Looks like you shot a "smiley face" into the target - very nice! :yeah:

I had not seen that. I need a better loading jag, the one I'm using is flat on the end and it is kind of a bear to get them started down the barrel. Been thinking of getting another GI rod from spinjag with loading tip. I have one for my 50 and I love it. It's hard to find things for the 54 now a days its not very popular. I got permission to hunt some pretty nasty swap land this year and I'm hoping this load will plant them. You don't want them to run in this stuff its rabbit territory.

I do believe that load will hammer them. 8)

It is the same load I plan to use just using my own bullet.

Yeah I know th cool thing is you can hear them whap the paper from the bench and thats even if there is nothing behind it. Those uni-Cores are a big bullet, and would do a number on anything they hit. I have some Hornady 350 gr. XTP mags I bought my only fear is not being able to push them hard enough to get them to expand. however a .50 cal. hole is still a half inch hole and if in the right spot will do the job.

Yup the Meplat on those Speer's is pretty big. 8) I am betting you just might here the Thwack when it hits the deer too! :lol: 8)

Back