White M97 .451 with T-7 3f

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
3-DSCN0593_zps50181738.jpg

I spoke to Ed on a PM and he said in his White Rifle, 65 grains of T-7 3f is very accurate with his bullets. So I decided to give them a try today. I was shooting my White M97 .451 with the 22 inch barrel and it sports a 2-7x32mm Bushnell 3200 Elite with firefly. I will say that shot 5 was very strange. Strange in that... NEVER in all the times I have shot this rifle did something ever cock back the hammer striker. And when #5 went off, it kicked pretty good. When I saw the rifle had cocked itself, I was kind of shocked. If that had not went high, it would have been a wonderful group. I was shooting 50 yards. I wanted to shoot further but took a tumble today and my knee was hurting bad to walk. So I hobbled around the back yard instead.

2-DSCN0602_zps73e7994a.jpg

So I swabbed the bore of the White using alcohol. I even swabbed between shots. And this time I shot 65 grains of T-7 2f . I never walked down to check the order of the hits. But there are ten shots in that mess. I can see nine. So you can try to find them all.

1-RSCN0598_zps9e37b87b.jpg

For those curious, this is Ed's conical. It is slip fit in my bore but not as loose as the Bull Shop .451. With the BS the weight of the ramrod will seat the conical. Ed's are just a little tighter. I like them.

And I decided to be taboo today. Since Sabotloader always tells how well these White rifles shoot sabots... I decided to sin and shoot sabots. I had purchased a pack of blemished 200 grain .40 caliber shockwaves with the yellow nose. I had some MMP tan .45 caliber sabots. I swabbed between shots. And they loaded very SOLID. Getting them in the bore was a short starter push. Then a good steady push on the range rod to load them. Again, swabbed between shots. 50 yards. Took my time. Was shooting 110 grains of T-7 2f with a CCI Magnum #11 cap.

4-DSCN0603_zps76aac898.jpg

My POA was the crosshair in that circle. And I took my time. I had to admit... sabotloader, this thing shoots sabots too. I know I shot six times but when I emptied my pockets of bullets, I had three left. I took out ten. So there might be seven in that mess.

Over all a good day on the range. Back in the house to clean it. A cup of coffee, a couple Tylenol. And took my time cleaning the rifle. I want to try these 200 grain Shockwaves at some much longer distances. They show promise. And I think it was Lee that said they are a good deer load. So they would be for shooting across hay fields.

Is they any chance that shot 5 had a bigger load of powder for some reason or other :shock: ? Nice shooting, that bullet of Ed's will knock the snot out of a deer.

I am positive that #5 did not have any more powder then the other four. Although I could tell that the fouling was building. My thoughts were, perhaps I did not seat the conical as completely as the other four. Which is why I started swabbing on the next five. But there was a definite change in shot #5 from #1-#4. Recoil for one thing. And while it is not really "out of the group" I was not happy about it.

That was why I decided (and normally I never swab my White Rifle) to swab on all the rest of the testing. I can also state that 110 grains of T-7 2f even with that 200 grain bullet, has definite recoil. I had my hat bill kissed twice. The other thing I did different today from all the other days is, today I wore SHOOTERS EAR MUFFS instead of ear plugs. I had plugs in the other day and ended up having a real ringing in the ears all night. So today I was not taking chances.

Ed is a forum member and White Rifle owner. Like me he cast his own bullets so he sent me some. I love to try other people's bullets. And his are definite shooters.

cayuga said:
I am positive that #5 did not have any more powder then the other four. Although I could tell that the fouling was building. My thoughts were, perhaps I did not seat the conical as completely as the other four.

That could be Dave, esp since you were shooting with 777 and also the conical was a little tighter than slip fit. I know many White shooters don't swab but I have taken to sizing my conicals a little bigger (I have one I cast and shoot in my ultra mag as cast without sizing it at all) and then I swab between shots with alchohol and a dry patch. It works for me and if I ever need a quick second shot I'm sure I could get it seated without swabbing.
Take care of that knee.
Art

These were my results with Ed;s 465 & his 350 Gould HP, 70gr & 65gr respectively

These were shot out of my White 98 with T7 3F at 75 yards

Very happy!!

Batchief909 said:
What the heck does Ed know..... :roll: :yeah:

I don't know what it is that Ed knows, but he definitely knows it!! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Switch the rifle & powder for a Super 91 and Swiss 3F and Ed's bullets do the same thing for me. Hoping to introduce a deer to one of his Goulds this year! Thanks Ed!

Latest posts

Back