trigger work on Black Diamond

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to reduce the weight of pull on my Black Diamond XR, but its not adjustable. Overtravel and creep, yes but not weight. Anybody out there ever done it? I'm thinking that a replacement spring might work. Currently the sear trips at about 5 1/2 pounds and I'd like to get it closer to 3- 3 1/2. Weight of pull is really the only advantage my MK85 has over the Black Diamond. Any help appreciated.

Mine is around 3-4 but closer to 3 pounds. I wonder what happened to yours? I hate the trigger on the Black Diamond because its a pain to get off *which I was advised by T/C not to do... , and to clean.

Ive owned 2 Black Diamonds and both had great triggers, no creep and broke at 3# maybe a bit less, perfect for hunting...dont really like a trigger much less then 3# for hunting as its too easy to set off when your in the heat of the moment.
You might try a little graphite on the sear contact area, it works wonders for smoothing up a trigger..

Something I do every so often is with the barrel out of the stock of course, I take the barrel/trigger attached, go out in the yard with Brake Cleaner and a straw on the can. Watch your eyes, and then I blast the insides of that trigger out real good. When I had blow all the gunk out of it, I then pour isopropyl alcohol over it and then shake the devil out of it. When I am sure its dry, I put a few drops of oil into the trigger.

One problem when you push fouling from the muzzle to the breech, you push that over the trigger. I even have a plastic sleeve that screws into the breech plug threads so when you push through the rifle it protects the trigger and the threads of the breech plug.

Thanks all. I keep the trigger mechanism as clean as I can and use moly grease on the sears but she's still got a heavy pull.I still clean from the muzzle so as not to get gunk in the trigger. Not a lot of fouling makes it past the striker, which is nice compared to my MK85. The fit of the striker on the 85 is much looser than the Back Diamond's and its striker and receiver area is REALLY messed up after a day at the range. The MK85 has a better trigger, but the Black Diamond is the better rifle overall. Its funny really. I bought the MK85 to shoot full bores and the Black Diamond actually shoots them better. Kinda strange...

Like you discovered... my Black Diamond XR is a great conical shooter. Even though it has the QLA.

Latest posts

Back