Do Minnie/R.E.A.L. shoot well in inline with 1-28 twist?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallbald

Reaction score
I have a very helpful thread here too about my Optima V2 pistol and cast pistol bullets. In addition now I'm am wondering if I can shoot a .50 caliber Minie ball or the Lee REAL in my V2? It has the 1 in 28 twist, and I've been searching for answers across the web but haven't come up with a lot. I added up my costs using sabots and factory cast slugs. With a 209 primer (4 cents), triple Seven 100 grain loads (17 cents), sabots (16 cents) and a commercial cast slug (10 cents) it's right at 47 cents a round. Could save a lot if a Minie ball would give me the range accuracy I love. Lee offers both the REAL molds and a Minie ball mold. Thoughts please? This may determine if I buy an Optima V2 rifle for fun on sale at $270 or not.

Re: Do Minnie/R.E.A.L. shoot well in inline with 1-28 twi

I never found a rifle that shot the minnie well. I used to cast them for both the .54 and .50 but were so disappointed with their performance and accuracy, I sold the molds.

Now the REAL are a different story. But the trick with them is low charges. If you push them hard the scatter all over the target. But keep the charge low, around 60 grains and they do pretty good. Except I can not get them accurate at extreme distances. But out to 75 yards they are hunting quality in a fast twist. Not going to brag on the groups at 75 yards but at 50 they are pretty good.

like Cayuga said, lighter charges. The Minnie charge in the 1860s was real light compared to what is used now. the military charge was often only 35 to 55 grains of black. Of course they were in paper "cartridges" on the back of the Minnie. For heavy charges and faster twist use a heavy full bore conical. If a slower twist like 48 or less then a patched roundball is really good with heavy charges. W

Lower charges would be fine by me for certain. I love shooting. Physical problems limit my tolerance of high recoil. Now the REAL doesn't need patch or sabot, correct? I shoot Triple Seven and would like to try Blackhorn 209 for the cleanliness.
Doesn't the REAL come in different weights for .50 caliber? Does the rear of the slug expand to grip the rifling on the REAL? Thank you for your patience. Don

50 cal REAL's come in 250 and 320 grain weights. The 250's work fine for me with my Optima Pro V1. Blackhorn 209 works better, but I can get decent accuracy with Alliant Black MZ at half the price. The trick is to swab between shots, pour the powder loosely into the measure without tapping, packing the powder after you pour it into the gun and use an over powder card.

85402aaf-b0f7-4e40-b41f-df6707551346_zps90b701b9.jpg

50 yard test with various loads of Black MZ. Looks like 70g (by volume) was the best.
250gREAL_BlackMZ_zps59375ba_edit_1396032644101_zpsknyhqycy.png

This is from yesterday. CVA Accura 50 cal. Lee 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullets lubed with homemade lube and a felt wad soaked in lube between the powder and bullet. 100 grains of 3f Goex and a Winchester 209 primer. Man they really pack a wallop.left target was me walking the scope in. This is at 50 yards.

I have the 250 gr real mold and need to try them in my new cva optima. I am going to use 60 gr by weight of 777 loose powder and no card over the powder and see how good they work.

Minie's will shoot excellent IF you use the correct designs. Personally I don't like anything Lee produces in black powder molds, whether designs or quality. Their Minie designs require anemic powder charges or they scatter like a shotgun pattern and their R.E.A.L. bullets don't have enough bearing surface to hold up under much more. The Lyman #542633 .54 cal Minie is designed for max hunting charges with a thick skirt and ample bearing surface. Out of my Rem 700ML with 1.75-4X scope i can make one big hole with 3 shots @ 100 yards. My Knight LK-93 with ghost ring sights can clover leaf them @ 75 yards. Both rifles will do this with 100gr. of Goex 2Fg or 3Fg powder wiping after every two shots. The trick is using a proper sized bullet. I have never had any luck with Minie's that are loose going down the bore. For example I also own two of the now discontinued Lyman #533476 Minie mold (one manufactured during the '60's, the other the '90's). For those who don't know the first three numbers in the mold part # are the size the bullet is supposed to be. Well one of those molds drops .534" the other .536". Both shot like garbage as you could throw them down the bore. I took the 1990's vintage mold and opened up the driving bands to .544" on my mill. It shoots great now out of either rifle. This design also has a thick skirt for heavier charges. The Knight has a 1-28" twist with .541" bore and .549" groove and the Rem 700ML was originally a .50 that was re-bored to .54 with a 1-26" .540" bore and .548" groove.

Tallbald said:
Physical problems limit my tolerance of high recoil.

Then I would recommend the smallest grained bullet moulds available by REAL. Also, real blackpowder (Goex) produces the softest recoil. Of the substitute powders, American Pioneer is the softest (my opinion).
777, Blackhorn, Old Eneysford and Swiss produce the most (my opinion).

Back