TC Thunderhawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batchief909

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just picked up a Thunderhawk in .50 caliber. Any suggestions for him as far as what has worked for you gents?

I had the T/C Firehawk quiete a few yrs. ago and it was deadly accurate with the 240 gr. XTP w/green sabot and 2 pyro. pellets, killed a ton of deer with it as far as 160 yds, most never made it over 60 yds...I believe the Thunderhawk has the same twist as Firehawk but wont swear to it...

Batchief909 said:
A buddy of mine just picked up a Thunderhawk in .50 caliber. Any suggestions for him as far as what has worked for you gents?

Powerbelts!!!! :D

Great little rifle, still use mine for tree stand hunting. Nosler 260 partition HG with supplied sabot ( MMP black HPH 24) and 90 gr of
triple seven. Tight fit but very very accurate and devastating on deer. You may have a hard time finding these, I believe Nosler stopped making them. I stocked up on a bunch.

dbowling said:
I had the T/C Firehawk quiete a few yrs. ago and it was deadly accurate with the 240 gr. XTP w/green sabot and 2 pyro. pellets, killed a ton of deer with it as far as 160 yds, most never made it over 60 yds...I believe the Thunderhawk has the same twist as Firehawk but wont swear to it...

Same here with the FireHawk, should be the same 1:38 twist.

Jeff, I used a Knight all lead bullet 260 grain? in a red Knight sabot in the FireHawk an if I remember right (been few years) I used 100 grains of T7 2Fg. I took a lot of deer with that rifle, should never have fallen for the QLA hype an traded it for a Encore... :roll:

My son had a thunderhawk in 50 as his first ML. He killed a big old wt doe with it first year hunting. We had good luck shooting the Hornady 300 grn sst. He was pretty small so we used 80grns of FFG Goex.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far, fellas! Keep 'em coming if anyone has any further suggestions! 8)

I have one. Had it for over 20 years now. Lots of deer killed with it and 240g/250g XTP's. 1:38 Twist

http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncent ... r_hawk.pdf

The only issue I ever had with it was my own fault for hunting in the rain with it and not getting all the water out and oiled in a timely manner. I just bought a new Impact this year. I hope I have just as much success with it as the Thunderhawk.

I had a pair of them one was for my wife but I tuned both. The load we both used was 100 grains of RS with a MMP sabot and a 240 grain bullet with a RWS #11 cap. They both shot well.

Mine was a 54cal but the twist is the same. The twist seems to work best with semi short for caliber bullets if you are using sabots. The .452 240gr XTP MAG is short but the jacket is tough. Barnes and i think General Bullet offer a .451 in 200gr for 45LC that might be a big winner in the Thunderhawk. It expands easily at the fps you should be able to obtain.

A 40cal 200gr XTP in a 50x40 sabot might also shoot ok. The little XTP does fairly good on deer if not pushed to hard.

Personally i would try those 400gr Trashcans first. I would almost bet money they will shoot great in that twist.

I thought you made some lighter ones for Sabotloader at one time. Dan at Bullshop has a 400gr LGP in 50cal.

My FireHawk was a .54 cal. also, but like said the twist is the same an the Knight bullets I used were also .451 I also had a System One in .50cal. that I'm thinking was the same 1:38 twist even with the QLA it liked the TC all lead conicals. (name of bullet escapes me right now) :d'oh!:

Jeff, is his ThunderHawk an older one without the QLA? If so that trashcan idea would be worth a try.

I'm not sure about the QLA, Steve. I haven't seen the rifle. I do know it has the 209 conversion in it.

Back