That First Shot--Second Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P1030997.JPG

The rifle shot today was the Omega Dream Season mounted in the stock from a ruined X7. It has a 4X scope mounted. It started out squeaky clean, then the breech plug without a flash hole was installed, and three W209 primers popped.

P1030994.JPG

Then a good breech plug was installed.

P1030993.JPG

Then 3 targets were shot with 3 different bullets. Range was always 202 yard. Powder was always 110g Blackhorn. Primer was always a Federal 215 magnum rifle primer. The XTP, and Deep Curls were loaded in crush rib sabot; the Nosler was loaded in a short black sabot. The barrel was never swabbed. The breech plug was never cleaned. Wind is always an issue where i have been shooting lately, as it is out on an open ridge. Except for shot # 2, wind wasn't too bad today; shooting was fun!

P1030996.JPG

P1030998.JPG

After shot #1, the wind really picked up, and i figured it was here to stay, so went ahead, and shot the second shot into a brisk right to left breeze. After shot # 2 the breeze began swirling lightly, and continued swirling the entire time i shot. At any rate i was pleased to see shot 3 hit close to shot 1, which to me, indicated the primer fouling replicated powder fouling.

This second rifle worked the same as the first rifle, and it seems i have doubled my knowledge. More shooting is necessary! Today's results of shots 1, 3, and 10 making a 'group', seems to indicate the popping of shotgun primers using a breech plug without a flash hole, replicates corrosive powder fouling, but with non-corrosive primer fouling.

Another good report, nice shooting and nice area to shoot :applause:

How do those crush ribs load in the Omega? I've never had good luck with them as they load loose for me.

They are easier to load than the short black sabot. This Omega seems to have a bigger barrel than others, and i have used other sabot in this rifle. However, i became tired of fighting to get other sabot/bullet down to the powder, and now like to use the crush rib for the 0.452 bullets. Today, i did use the short black for the 0.451 bullet.

Back