300g 45 caliber XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Judging by reports, this bullet has killed a pile of deer. This morning some of these 300g XTP were shot into a light, but swirly breeze. It seemed to me they did well.

P1040001.JPG

Over the years i have kinda stayed away from these XTP, because they, according to Hornady, have a low BC, when compared to the XTP magnums, the Deep Curls, and the Noslers. However, today, they appeared to fly as well, or better than the Deep Curl, and the Nosler. The scope setting was never changed when shooting the different bullets. It should be mentioned, the far left Deep Curl was pushed by the strongest gust of the morning. The furthest left XTP, was pushed left, by a weaker right to left swirly gust. At any rate, since it is in stock, it may very well may be, the 300g 45 caliber XTP is a worthy substitute for the 300g Deep Curl. To my knowledge, no one can find the Deep Curl anywhere.

ronlaughlin

At any rate, since it is in stock, it may very well may be, the 300g 45 caliber XTP is a worthy substitute for the 300g Deep Curl.

Not even close in on game performance... but it is available. I would go with the Sierra .458x300 grain long before the XTP. The 458 Sierra is a proven 45-70 rifle bullet.

.45 Caliber (.458) (.45-70) 300 gr. HP/FN (50 bullets)

Sierra offers a single flatnose bullet in this 45 caliber specifically for the 45-70 bore size. It may be used in rifles or handguns with a .458 inch bore, but it must not be used in handguns with .451 or .454 inch bore size.

Sierra introduced this bullet in 1973 - the 100th year of the 45-70 cartridge. Now, decades later, this old cartridge is still growing in popularity and justifiably so. Adequate for any game in North America and offered in several modern firearms, this old cartridge is just plain fun. The bullet is unique in that it expands well at modest 1873 Springfield velocities or at the more powerful full charge velocities that can be loaded in stronger action types, such as the Ruger No. 1 and No. 3 and Marlin lever actions. Accuracy is excellent, and it feeds reliably through all types of magazines and actions. It can be used in the 458 Winchester Magnum cartridge, but muzzle velocities should not exceed 2500 fps.

For handguns, this bullet was designed to expand reliably even at 1300 fps. It is a perfect match for the T/C Contenders and similar handguns chambered for the 45-70 cartridge. Dependable expansion and excellent accuracy make this Pro-Hunter bullet a good choice for most hunting situations.

The next best choice would be the Sierra .451x300 grain

.45 Caliber (.4515) 300 gr. JSP
Despite its "soft point" title, this 300 grain #8830 Jacketed Soft Point (JSP) SportsMaster is the single hardest bullet Sierra has produced. Utilizing a 6% antimony, 4% tin, 90% lead alloy core, this 300 grain JSP will expand only on the toughest game when driven at absolutely top-end velocities. Intended primarily for the strongest 45 Colt revolvers (Freedom Arms, Dan Wesson, and Ruger revolvers), the single-shot T/C Contenders and the 454 Casull revolvers, this bullet is an excellent selection for the heaviest game on any handgunner's agenda. Because of its length and solid construction, this bullet cannot be used in Colt Single Action Army revolvers or their modern reproductions. This bullet was introduced by Sierra in 1994.

I killed 2 huge does and a med. doe last season with the 300 gr. .45 XTP, one(huge doe) shot at 30 yds made it 35 yds, lungs/heart were literally destroyed, half of heart gone and lungs were mush... the other 2 were shot one right after the other at 72 yds, huge doe dropped on the spot with a high shoulder shot, the med doe walked out behind the huge doe after she fell, reloaded shot her and she made it max 30 yds with a blood trail Stevie wonder could follow, lungs destroyed again...terminal performance on whitetails is about as good you you can expect, dont know about anything bigger, plus they are cheap and accurate. Was using 85 gr. pyrodex rs for above deer.

Ron, you are right, nobody I know of can find the Deep Curls. Fortunately, I have enough to last awhile, but had to resort to shooting XTP's at the range. I found that the 44 cal 300 gr. XTP's flew pretty similar out of my gun as compared to the Deep Curls and I could find them easily. Not sure what I would switch to for actually hunting...I am hopeful that I never have to make the change (2 and a half boxes left).

Ron, I have used XTP bullets in my muzzleloaders for years, they are cheaper to buy and easy to find in most stores, they shoot accurate out of my guns and the terminal performance on whitetails was really good, about like what dbowling said. I believe they are vastly underrated. But the proof is in the large number of deer taken each year by a large number of different folks all over the country. I know that there are better constructed and more expensive bullets out there but a dead deer is a dead deer, shot placement is the key to taking any game animal. I and my friends have taken several deer over the years with XTP's with no problems.

Back