C.o.p. bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtalker

Reaction score
Any one tried the c.o.p. bullets. I bought some for my. 50 cal. Cva wolf. Im shooting a 185 grain c.o.p. 45 cal. Bullet in a harvester short sabot with 100 grains of triple 7 powder. They group very well and expand good. Just wandering if any one has tried them also

I have never heard of them. How makes them and what do they look like?

Aren't those the ones that Midway sells as their private label?

I like them so far. They have mushroomed just like the barnes bullets. And they cost alot less

stringtalker said:
Any one tried the c.o.p. bullets. I bought some for my. 50 cal. Cva wolf. Im shooting a 185 grain c.o.p. 45 cal. Bullet in a harvester short sabot with 100 grains of triple 7 powder. They group very well and expand good. Just wandering if any one has tried them also

I would bet those are 'Home Defense' or 'Law Enforcement' bullets - they are designed to open very rapidly and reduce penetration. I am not sure that they would make a good hunting bullet. Well, actually if they are a hunting bullets they can not be sold as Home Defense/Law Enforcement bullets...

They are a aftermarket Barnes bullet, solid copper. And they penetrate very well. I emailed the company that makes them and they said that they make an excellent muzzleloader bullet. I use a lighter bullet because thats what i like, you dont need a large bullet to kill deer. I will let you all know after season how they performed, and from what i seen from testing at the range, they will work very well

You would be much better off with the 45LC 225gr bullet they offer. Those light bullets with a big hollow point/expansion tend to tumbled after impact. The COPs dont expand the same as Barnes either. The petals peal back differently. There is a good video or two of them in 380 and 10mm on YouTube if you want to see what i mean.

I watched the videos. To begin with im no expert, but gel is not a good material to test penetration or expansion. The only way to test how a bullet will perform on deer or whatever you are shooting is to shoot a the actual target. The ammo they were testing was way under velocity, so they are not going to perform well, expansion will be off and will cause the bullet to tumble, especially in gel. Im shooting a 185 grain with 100 grains of triple 7, that will push that bullet very well so velocity want be an issue, neither will penetration. Im going to do a phone book test, ive found this is the best test for penetration and expansion, but most people just tape a bunch of phone books together, not good, its best to soak the phone books in water until they are completely saturated, gives them more of a flesh feel, but anyway, i just want to kill some deer, my freezer is empty, good huntn you'all

None of that changes the fact that a 185gr .451 bullet has a horrible sectional density. After those petals blow off at that speed you will have very little shank leftover. They may not in soaked phone books but they very well might in a more fluid medium like tissue.

The 225gr is still a far better bullet no matter how you look at it.

Im not one that looks at book knowledge, sectional density, or other stuff that reloaders look at when try to get the right bullet. Yes the 225grain bullet has a better sectional density, i know that. But the bullet i have will kill deer, will i have problems, maybe, but i dont think so. A .22 rimfire will kill deer. I place my shot in the heart and lungs on a deer, i take my time, if this bullet fails me i will change, but every bullet that i was goin to use is sold out and they dont know when they will get any in stock because of idiots buying up everything thinking there was goin to be a ban on them or a shortage, well we have a shortage, wonder how that happened. I was goin to use the 210 grain sierra. 44 cal. JHP bullet. But ive been waiting for 3months and still none in stock. Yes everything you say is true, but this will work too, if i do my part

Latest posts

Back