my review of the knight ultra lite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
this muzzle loader can shoot that's about all i can say for it. the cons are the breech plug for bare primers wears out fast when shooting BH209 powder. i probably got about 100 rnds thru the rifle when the flash hole eroded out to far when the accuracy starts to fail. it went from 1-2" groups to 6". another sign that the breech plug is eroded out it will start giving you blow back. then your primers will get stuck to the bolt face, solution is to re- cock and fire the gun again to push the primer back in. your best bet would to stay away from BH209 powder and shoot T7. it would be better if you could change out the vent liner, but needless to say Knight rifles will not have you doing this. it can get expensive
buying new breech plugs all the time at $38 a pop.
the other issue i have with this rifle is the ability to shoot the FPJ red primers adapters again you have to buy a different breech plug and a bolt sleeve just to shoot the FPJ . for a rifle that cost $800 you would think that Knight would include the bolt sleeve with the rifle. I found out about the bolt sleeve after buying the breech plug no where does it state this about this rifle. you have to learn this from trial and error. way to go knight.

What i did, after discovering the same thing you did, about the flash hole quickly eroding, is remove the brazed vent liner. It wasn't easy for me, but i got the job done. A machinist may have had an easier time of it than i did. Perhaps, instead of spending monies on new breech plugs, you could take your worn plug to a local machinist, and have the vent liner removed; the threads in the breech plug 'chased', and restored. Once the threads in the breech plug are restored, one can simply use a vent liner to replace the worn flash hole. Instead of purchasing a new breech plug every 100 shots, one replaces the vent liner every 150 to 200 shots. A Lehigh vent liner probably would last even longer than 200 shots. Cost of vent liners is about $5 each.

Three times, for three different rifles, i removed the brazed vent liner. It never was easy, but was well worth it in the long run. The Extreme i now have is a sweet shooting rifle, and is very fun to shoot because of how solid it feels, how accurate it is, and how wonderful the trigger is. When the flash hole gets to be too large, it is a trivial matter to just remove, and replace the vent liner. These days i make my own vent liners, and they cost me about $0.35, so i shoot without the worry of needing to replace the expensive breech plug, or the less costly vent liner..

I alway wanted a knight but after reading this ill just stick with TC . Sorry about your rifle .

If I had known what I do know now about the ultra lite I never would have bought one. All the reviews on it never say anything negative. I have a cva accura and have no problems with it. And it shoots just as good as this knight. I tried posting a review on knights web site under the ultra and it won't accept it.

Send me the breech plug, a little dinero for return mail, and i will remove the brazed vent liner, and clear the threads for a new removable vent liner. Then, let's see if you can make friends with the rifle.

Ron, it's great to have people like you on the forum, you made me some plugs for my (4) .45 MagHunters and the price was very affordable also. THANKS for the great work you do. :yeah: :applause: :applause:

ronlaughlin said:
Send me the breech plug, a little dinero for return mail, and i will remove the brazed vent liner, and clear the threads for a new removable vent liner. Then, let's see if you can make friends with the rifle.
pm sent thanks

sqezer said:
Ron, it's great to have people like you on the forum, you made me some plugs for my delete and the price was very affordable also. THANKS for the great work you do. :yeah: :applause: :applause:

Umm..we weren't going to speak of those plugs were we? Thanks for the kind word; let me know if i can assist in the future, but not for them particular rifle. That truck/crane is still interesting to me, what a beast. You drive for UPS though? Can't recall your connection to the crane.

I know this is off the post of the Knight ultralight but I am looking at getting the Knight mountaineer or the Knight long range hunter or the disc extreme. The long range hunter is on sale for 800 with scope. I'm going to be getting the .52cal. Any feed back would be thankful

Back