a happy camper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpfuzz

Reaction score
After reading all what people were doing to get there 50 cal Encore to shoot I figured what the heck..Contacted Mike Bellm and got the oversize hinge pin,trigger spring,hammer spring,locking lug spring,and a firing pin spring..Got all that installed,picked up some Blackhorn powder,and some Hornaday 250 gr SST`s..Got to the range and fouled the barrel getting the scope dialed in..Once dialed the first 3 shot group was a ragged hole,right at 3/4 inch..Man was I smiling..Took the scope up a little for deer season,next 3 shots was right at 1 1/4 inch,2 inch high,center on windage..I`m one happy camper as I had my mind set on selling it if it didn`t shoot..Groups before with the triple 7 ran about 5-8 inch..I tried the white hots powder also,various bullets,and nothing helped..Now I`m gonna work on the clean bore first shot thingie to get it ironed out before deer season.. :mrgreen:

Good for you. I am glad you got it straightened out. I went through a similar experience on two rifles with 777 and had not heard of many people having the same experience.

It sounds like you have a real good shooter there. The deer herd will tremble this year when you enter the woods.

I had the same problem triple 7 and 209 primer don't mix. I went to black horn no more problem .

For such a small cost and a little time, its like having a different rifle isn't it? I always replaced the 30# factory hammer spring too and had both the 44# and 51# springs on hand. The 44# spring is probably the best "all around" spring for me. The 51# puts the trigger pull on the edge for me if I use it for hunting and the 2# trigger spring. Normally the 51# was used while I was just shooting targets.

Glad you found the change to help, most always do.

209 primers and triple 7 shoot dang good, maybe not in your rifle, but mine will stack the bullets on tope of each other. I wouldnt shoot anything but triple 7, not blackhorn or anything. Best powder made IMO.

Latest posts

Back